Be what's next.
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day.
Azure’s core priority is to be the world’s most trusted, secure, and global cloud and a great place for people to work. Azure for Operators is building a team to help mobile operators take advantage of the innovation unleashed by the introduction of technologies such as 5G, Software Defined Networking / Network Function Virtualization, Edge Compute , and the next-generation Internet of Things.
We’re growing our Azure for Operators Technical Consultancy team. The Azure for Operators team deploys Microsoft and partner products to provide next-generation services in over 1000 carriers’ networks.
Technical Consultants are deep technical specialists who deliver unique value to our customers by collaboratively solving customer problems, providing delivery technical leadership, contributing to product quality and delivery process enhancements, and ideally becoming trusted advisors to our customers. Technical Consultants lead and deliver our core network design services, commissioning, and migrations to our operator customers.
This position is a Technical Consultant working with our customers across North and South America and will be part of our broader Customer Delivery team. Our vision is to deliver successful Network and Service Transformation programs profitably, predictably, and with high competency.
An ideal candidate for this role has experience in deeply technical roles, delivering experiences at a cloud-scale, and leading complex and highly visible customer engagements. Along the way, you have managed situations where the stakes are high, learned how to negotiate, and developed strong communication skills, especially when sharing deeply technical information. You have obtained and leveraged data to make informed decisions and become a quick learner of new technologies.
Project Delivery – Deliver Results through Teamwork & Optimizing Business Results – 75%
- Create deliverables to address customer needs & support our strategy, and share intellectual property with others.
- Leads meetings with customers/partners to understand business needs. Seeks opportunities to drive business results by collaborating with multiple team members. Engages others appropriately to understand and define customer requirements.
- Participates in project planning and develops project documents by identifying the risks and dependencies proposing mitigations. Assists project managers/architects in preparing for the steering committee. Manages their schedule and communicates to project leads.
- Manages escalations, analyzes situations, and coordinates appropriate resources to resolve issues by following delivery practices, considering cost implications, and engaging in conversations with internal and external stakeholders.
- Modifies existing intellectual property (IP) or, where applicable, creates new content.
- Identifies opportunities to articulate business value and grow customer/partner relationships in alignment with business priorities and stakeholder management principles.
Learning, Leading, and Growing the Business – 25%
- Consistently apply “lessons learned”, model personal accountability & teamwork.
- Demonstrates an understanding of his or her role and contribution to customer/partner change management and adoption initiatives.
- Understands customer/partner requirements and can map the adoption and optimization of Microsoft technology solutions accordingly.
- Drives and Supports innovation focusing on industry solutions and customer business outcomes on the Microsoft platform.
- Cultivates relationships, credibility, and loyalty with customers and partners intentionally by sharing relevant business expertise.
- Demonstrated Self Learner.
- Analytical Problem Solving.
- Building Customer/Partner Relationships.
- Product & Technology Expertise.
- Value Selling.
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.S./B.A.) or 7 years of equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of experience in a deeply technical role in Technical Support, Consulting, and Development, in the service provider domain with hands-on knowledge of 3GPP, routing & switching, virtualization, and Linux.
Preferred (Optional-Additional) Qualifications:
- Multiple Certification in Microsoft Azure and/or competing Cloud Technologies/Virtualization.
- Competencies in two or more of the following technologies:
- Session Border Controllers, SIP Protocol, SS7 Protocols, Core Voice Network Equipment, IMS, 2G, 3G, 4g/LTE, 5G/CUPS and associated external interfaces, OSS/BSS systems, PCRF/OCS, HSS/HLR, VoLTE, VoWifi, ePDG, GiLAN/Proxy.
- Competencies in deploying and troubleshooting hypervisors like Azure, VMWare, Openstack, and KVM.
- Experience with scripting languages (Python, VBA, Java, C++, etc.).
- Competencies in routing protocols like OSPF, BGP, etc.
- Hands-on knowledge of troubleshooting Linux-based systems.
- Experience with Kubernetes and Docker.
The role will be based in Jamaica, however flexible working/home working is a possible option as well. Our customers are distributed across North and South America and on-site work will be required. Work-life balance is a high priority for us, and we generally expect 0 – 25% travel.
The ability to meet Microsoft, customer, and/or government security screening requirements is required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the accommodation request form.
The benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry-leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away