Be what's next
The Azure Synapse SQL team delivers world-class relational data warehouse server technologies used across the globe on to some of the largest cloud deployments in the world. The amount of data being generated in the world is soaring. With this dramatic growth, the importance of the data platform continues to grow tremendously. Data is at the heart of the Cloud. Winning in the Cloud requires rich data services that provide deep insights from data. All of this must be done while supporting high availability, predictability, and elasticity; supporting petabytes of data; ability to scale-out; supporting unlimited concurrency and scale. Does this sound like an interesting problem? If yes, talk to us in the Synapse SQL team. We have made a big bet on our super-successful business winning in the Cloud. We will win by building the world’s best data management Cloud platform and transforming how people use databases. But to do that, we need your help. Our competition is fierce, and our aspirations are bold!
We are part of the Azure Data team in the C+E Azure organization. Azure Big data teams present interesting challenges in technologies such as big data, cloud, and storage. We build reliable, highly scalable, and high-performance distributed systems for data analytics on Azure. We work with various open-source technologies like Hadoop, and Yarn. We are building the next generation globally distributed, elastic scale, multi-model cloud database service. It is designed to enable developers to build planet-scale applications. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be part of a very agile team, take on hard distributed system problems, and ship high-impact features at a rapid pace.
As a member of the Synapse SQL development team, you will be responsible for the design, development, and support of all aspects of the control plane for our services including integration with the breadth of Synapse Analytics services. You will understand the SQL DB services architecture upon which our data warehouse service sits to identify improvements in efficiency and quality across the organization. The control plane is the first experience customers have with our service as we provide provisioning, scaling, upgrade, maintenance, and the APIs necessary to manage your SQL DW. As we expand our offering, we are exploring new options for our service architecture which will allow us to expand beyond our current limitations and provide customers with the scale, quality, and reliability they expect from an enterprise-ready service.
- Design, implement, test, and operate services.
- Build and maintain partnerships between our team and teams operating services upstream and downstream.
- Release features on time, with high quality, meeting functional, performance, scalability, and compliance requirements.
- Drive quality right from the design phase, incorporating best practices and engineering for testability.
- Research and adopt new technology to improve the quality of the service, increase customer value or reduce operating costs.
- Solve problems relating to mission-critical services and create solutions to prevent problem recurrence.
- Improve cost and performance efficiency wherever the evidence suggests. Through performance analysis, system tuning, and code optimization.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering or other technical degrees.
- 5+ years of programming experience in Java, C#, C++, or C.
- Building and shipping production-grade software or services, including designing and implementing solutions for telemetry and monitoring.
- Fluent in English.
- 5+ years of experience in software development, object-oriented programming, and design patterns.
- Great curiosity and willingness to question.
- Sharp customer focus and passion for improving engineering productivity.
- Understanding of systems fundamentals in either OS, cloud platforms, or distributed systems.
- High enthusiasm, integrity, ingenuity, results-orientation, self-motivation, and resourcefulness in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience coordinating resources across diverse teams to restore service and maintain SLA’s.
- Strong problem-solving, troubleshooting, and communication skills.
- Experience developing cloud services.
The ability to meet Microsoft, customer, and/or government security screening requirements is required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
The benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry-leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away