Southern Launch is developing the Whalers Way Orbital Launch Complex on the southern coastline of South Australia to address an identified emerging gap in the orbital rocket launch market.
Southern Launch is looking for a modelling & simulation engineer to build computer simulations of launch vehicle trajectories and continually improve our analysis toolset.
You must have a high level of attention to detail and mental stamina to accurately complete important and complex computer calculations. You must be able to work in a team as well as independently. At all times it is expected you proactively seek the necessary inputs from colleagues, customers and reference materials.
You have good technical report writing skills and understanding of the most reliable and effective way to communicate complicated information to the reader, taking advantage of tables, diagrams and graphs as well as text where appropriate.
You are also an effective verbal communicator and can mentor junior team members.
- Prepare 6 DoF launch vehicle trajectory models and Monte Carlo simulations using ASTOS
- Develop and run post-processing tools in MATLAB
- Managing large data sets
- Automation of analysis tools
- Performance analysis of launch vehicles and suborbital rockets
- Understand and model launch vehicle failures modes and effects on range safety
- Gather and process the required weather data needed as input to debris dispersion models
- Contribute to the preparation of launch permit applications
- Prepare range safety maps for public on the ground and airspace users
- Post-flight analysis
- Follow requirements of, and contribute knowledge and processes to, Southern Launch’s quality management system
- Occasional presentations at technical conferences
- Support design studies for future launch customers
- Bachelors of Engineering and/or honours degree in Mathematics
- 3-5 years working in a technical role
- Strong and demonstrable abilities in MATLAB
- Must have, or be eligible to obtain, NV1 or higher Australian Government Security Clearance.
Other Highly Desirable Qualifications
- Post graduate degree in engineering or science
- Double-degree in engineering and mathematics
- Thorough knowledge of flight mechanics of rockets or aircraft
- Experience in launch vehicle or rocket trajectory analysis and optimization
- Understanding of aerodynamics and high speed flows
- Risk & reliability experience
- Programming skills – MATLAB, Simulink, C/C++, Python
- Experience working in software development teams using Subversion
- Experience using engineering CAD software
- Experience working with a Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Please send your application with your resume and a 2 page cover letter describing why you are an ideal candidate for the job.