It’s a great time to be part of the SES team
We are the world’s leading satellite operator with over 70 satellites in two different orbits, Geostationary Orbit (GEO) and Medium Earth Orbit (MEO). We provide a diverse range of customers with global video distribution and data connectivity services through two business units: SES Video and SES Networks. Our global team works collaboratively to make a significant, and often life-changing difference in the world. As part of our team, you will play an integral part in delivering on our vision. At SES, we connect and enable broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers, and enrich the lives of billions of people worldwide.
ROLE DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The Global Support Engineer (Level 1) is first point of contact SES Networks’ Global Services team providing world class technical support to our customers both internally and externally. The Support Engineer is responsible for the proactive and reactive technical fault monitoring of IP infrastructure comprising of routers, switches, firewalls and modems that cover the whole service path, triaging, isolating and troubleshooting the problems towards IP infrastructure, resolution, technical restoration, reporting and logging of fault resolution for our managed customer services and infrastructure on a 24 x 7 basis.
The Support engineer will form part of a team made up of highly skilled and experienced engineers from multiple communications technology disciplines and will be using technical industry best practice methodologies to support our customers solutions and services. They will implement, maintain, and enhance the telecommunication network, systems and equipment. The position analyzes existing networks and equipment and identifies opportunities for improvement. The will develop solutions that meet the business’s requirements.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES / KEY RESULT AREAS
- Pro-actively monitor our global customer services and infrastructure through keen eye on the tools
- Follow step by step procedure for fault detection and identification using TCP/IP best practices
- Take ownership of customer incidents and complaints through to resolution.
- Create cases on occurrence of incidents and resolve/escalate them as per defined SLAs
- Follow standard procedures for IP routing and protocols such as MPLS, BGP, OSPF for escalation of unresolved Incidents to the appropriate internal teams and or management.
- Initiate, update and resolve incident records and convey actions taken to restore the incidents to customers
- Ownership of incidents from inception through to conclusion
- Provide prompt response to queries of customers and colleagues. It is expected that the Global support engineer is well versed in English and other languages to effectively communicate with customers
- Support Shift Lead in resolving incidents that may involve multiple technology breakdown and help in isolating faults
- Prepare accurate and timely reports for shift handovers
- Document knowledge in the form of knowledge articles to form part of our knowledge management system
- Be punctual and proactive
- Professional written and verbal communications with SES’s global customers with the ability to provide detail at both the technical and management levels
- Strong IP troubleshooting skills with certifications in Cisco & Juniper
- Excellent troubleshooting and resolution skills
- Good communication skills, both in writing and verbally
- Ability to articulate complex technical issues in business terms
- Ability to work in a time-critical environment
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Resourcefulness in getting the job done by working through or around challenges and obstacles
- Takes initiative without close supervision and proactively resolves customer issues
- Holds self and others accountable for individual and team results
- Willingness to learn and scale up in competencies
- Sense of urgency, initiative and a competitive drive to get things done
QUALIFICATION & EXPERIENCE
- BS in Network Engineering or the equivalent combination of education, technical certifications/training
- Cisco and/or Juniper certifications (mid-level)
- 0-2 years of experience in Telecom or Satcom
- Experience in IP troubleshooting and isolating the root cause, operating, installing, remote support in resolving incidents
- Experience in operating Remote connectivity tools
- Experience in Satellite industry will be an added advantage
- Some knowledge of RF and basic understanding of GEO, MEO or LEO telecommunications satellite technologies
- Ability to work 12-hour rotating shift schedule that is not limited to business hours of operation
- Self-starter with a high level of personal accountability
- Flexible attitude to working hours, allowing seamless support for customers
OTHER KEY REQUIREMENTS / COMMENTS
Other duties as assigned
SES is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
What’s in it for you?
In addition to a competitive salary and benefits package, we offer you a truly global opportunity in an exciting industry and all the support you’ll need for both your professional and personal development. But most of all, we offer a truly unique opportunity to play your part in making a difference for those who need it most. We strive to uphold honesty, transparency and courage in everything we do. We’re proud to belong to the SES team and collaborate towards success.
Good to know
SES and its Affiliated Companies are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. In conformity with U.S. Government technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), and/or other applicable U.S. law, regulation or other requirements imposed by the U.S. Government, certain positions may require U.S. Citizenship, status as a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. or a “protected individual” as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligibility to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State or U.S. Department of Commerce.