Space-Proven ADCS Solutions
NewSpace Systems (NSS) is a privately-owned, advanced manufacturer of robust spacecraft components and sub-systems with facilities in both South Africa and the United Kingdom. Particularly strong in the area of Attitude Determination and Control Solutions, the NSS team has more than 30+ years of experience in this industry.
KEY PURPOSE OF JOB
As part of a major growth strategy, our team is seeking a Chief Technology Officer (CTO). The CTO will manage the organization’s technological needs as well as its research and development (R&D). The CTO will examine the short- to long-term needs of the organization and deploy resources and capital to make investments designed to help the organization reach its objectives.
REPORT TO: CEO
- Lead our multidisciplinary engineering teams.
- Responsible for the entirety of engineering execution including technical budget, cost, schedule and metrics
- Establishes and maintains the technical baseline, ensuring the product/project is optimized to meet the contractual needs and can be executed within program budget and schedule
- Ensure effective use of design reviews, following ECSS methodology, and achieve timely completion of all required reviews
- Ensure proper Engineering Risk management, ensuring engineering risks are captured, mitigation plans put in place, and risks managed in an effective manner
- Identify and promote capital expenditure on equipment, software etc. where there is a demonstrable RoL on such investments to improve the efficiency of the engineering department.
- Support sales team with technical input to proposals and tender responses
- Determine & monitor technical priorities to meet cost, schedule, quality & performance for engineering related projects
- Monitor and trend staffing against planned work; proactively engage with Engineering functions to ensure adequate resource assignment.
- Help employees grow through career development, coaching, and mentoring while guiding senior contributors to maximise their potential.
- Develop, introduce, and maintain new processes where none exist.
- Perform structured root cause analysis of any engineering process failures, and actively promote and manage Continuous Improvement within the
- Additional duties as reasonably required
- Domestic and international travel will be required
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in relevant Engineering field;
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in relevant Engineering field would be an added advantage
- Demonstratable experience in high-tech and high-value (multimillion rand) project implementation & management
- Deep knowledge of development for space environment, including use of ECSS processes
- Knowledge of environmental test methods and practices (e.g. Dynamic, Vibration, EMC, radiation, Thermal Vacuum)
Experience & Knowledge:
- 8+ (eight) plus years of engineering experience including project management, in a satellite engineering environment or similar, of which more than three years has been in a senior engineering management role
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience in a manufacturing/production environment
COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
- Proven ability to articulate a vision and strategy in a way that inspires and motivates a team to focus their energy on achieving business goals.
- Strong leadership skills with a track record for investing in team and driving results through collaboration.
- Ability to create partnerships across the entire organisation and collaborate with a wide variety of stakeholders from engineers to executives.
- Ability to communicate clearly (in both visual and dialogue environments) to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated experience developing complex products requiring coordination across multiple teams, partners, and countries/cultures
- Deep experience implementing engineering, management, and process best practices within a rapidly growing team
- Track record of growing top-notch engineering teams quickly and mentoring junior engineers and emerging leaders
- Ability to create and deliver accurate and concise presentations for design, manufacturing, and quality.
- Adaptable and comfortable in an exciting, dynamic, and evolving environment
- Hands-on with a passion for continuous improvement and building the best hardware
- Resourcefulness in setting priorities.
- Fluent English essential, second and/or additional languages beneficial
NewSpace Systems is committed to Employment Equity therefore preference will be given to suitable candidates from designated groups.