Space-Proven ADCS Solutions
NewSpace Systems (NSS) is a privately-owned, advanced manufacturer of robust spacecraft components and sub-systems with facilities in both South Africa and the United Kingdom. Particularly strong in the area of Attitude Determination and Control Solutions, the NSS team has more than 30+ years of experience in this industry.
KEY PURPOSE OF JOB
As part of a major growth strategy, our team is seeking a Chief Technology Officer (CTO). The CTO will manage the organization’s technological needs as well as its research and development (R&D). The CTO will examine the short- to long-term needs of the organization and deploy resources and capital to make investments designed to help the organization reach its objectives.
REPORT TO: CEO
- Lead our multidisciplinary engineering teams.
- Responsible for the entirety of engineering execution including technical budget, cost, schedule and metrics
- Establishes and maintains the technical baseline, ensuring the product/project is optimized to meet the contractual needs and can be executed within program budget and schedule
- Ensure effective use of design reviews, following ECSS methodology, and achieve timely completion of all required reviews
- Ensure proper Engineering Risk management, ensuring engineering risks are captured, mitigation plans put in place, and risks managed in an effective manner
- Identify and promote capital expenditure on equipment, software etc. where there is a demonstrable RoL on such investments to improve the efficiency of the engineering department.
- Support sales team with technical input to proposals and tender responses
- Determine & monitor technical priorities to meet cost, schedule, quality & performance for engineering related projects
- Monitor and trend staffing against planned work; proactively engage with Engineering functions to ensure adequate resource assignment.
- Help employees grow through career development, coaching, and mentoring while guiding senior contributors to maximise their potential.
- Develop, introduce, and maintain new processes where none exist.
- Perform structured root cause analysis of any engineering process failures, and actively promote and manage Continuous Improvement within the
- Additional duties as reasonably required
- Domestic and international travel will be required
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in relevant Engineering field;
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in relevant Engineering field would be an added advantage
- Demonstratable experience in high-tech and high-value (multimillion rand) project implementation & management
- Deep knowledge of development for space environment, including use of ECSS processes
- Knowledge of environmental test methods and practices (e.g. Dynamic, Vibration, EMC, radiation, Thermal Vacuum)
Experience & Knowledge:
- 8+ (eight) plus years of engineering experience including project management, in a satellite engineering environment or similar, of which more than three years has been in a senior engineering management role
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience in a manufacturing/production environment
COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
- Proven ability to articulate a vision and strategy in a way that inspires and motivates a team to focus their energy on achieving business goals.
- Strong leadership skills with a track record for investing in team and driving results through collaboration.
- Ability to create partnerships across the entire organisation and collaborate with a wide variety of stakeholders from engineers to executives.
- Ability to communicate clearly (in both visual and dialogue environments) to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated experience developing complex products requiring coordination across multiple teams, partners, and countries/cultures
- Deep experience implementing engineering, management, and process best practices within a rapidly growing team
- Track record of growing top-notch engineering teams quickly and mentoring junior engineers and emerging leaders
- Ability to create and deliver accurate and concise presentations for design, manufacturing, and quality.
- Adaptable and comfortable in an exciting, dynamic, and evolving environment
- Hands-on with a passion for continuous improvement and building the best hardware
- Resourcefulness in setting priorities.
- Fluent English essential, second and/or additional languages beneficial
NewSpace Systems is committed to Employment Equity therefore preference will be given to suitable candidates from designated groups.
If you meet the requirements of this vacancy, please apply with cover letter and cv. To discuss the role, contact us on +27 (0) 21 300 0160