NewSpace Systems (NSS) is a privately-owned, advanced manufacturer of robust spacecraft components and sub-systems with facilities in both South Africa and the United Kingdom. Particularly strong in the area of Attitude Determination and Control Solutions, the NSS team has more than 30+ years of experience in this industry.
Key Purpose of the Job:
- To ensure all processes are carried out to the required quality to ensure delivered items are fit for purpose and meet the technical and client requirements and expectations.
- Maintaining, reviewing, and improving product and quality assurance for Space-related activities within the facility.
- Maintaining quality and operational procedures established as part of the formal qualification and acceptance processes.
- Understanding the technical and client’s needs and requirements and ensure effective communication thereof to the engineering and production teams.
- Inspection of incoming components, parts, and assemblies by conducting visual and measurement tests, and rejecting and returning of unacceptable deliveries.
- Identification of Key Inspection Points (KIP) and Mandatory Inspection Points (MIP) of sub-assemblies and integrated assemblies and liaison with Engineering and Production teams to ensure inclusion in product documentation.
- In-process and final inspection of sub-assemblies and integrated assemblies including all related build documentation.
- Perform inspection on outgoing deliveries (to sub-contractors and clients), ensuring that product is in line with technical and client requirements.
- Assist the Supply Chain team in the selection of suppliers and sub-contractors.
- Monitor shelf-life control and ensure that timely actions are taken to minimize any impact to production and engineering processes.
- Ensure adherence to cleanroom standards, as per the BMS requirements.
- Responsible for the effective feedback on quality deviations to Engineering and Production teams to prevent re-occurrence and promote continuous improvement.
- Responsible for the calibration and maintenance of equipment (internal and sub-contracted) in a timely manner in adherence with the schedule.
- Responsible for the review and approval of technical documentation requiring a quality signature.
- Assist the Engineering and Production teams with investigations of failures, where required.
- Monitor and ensure validity of the ESA certification of technicians and quality controllers.
- Oversee ESA theoretical training (performed by external ESA trainer) and manage the practical examination in collaboration with the ESA trainer.
- Assist the Quality Assurance Coordinator with quality induction and awareness training, where required.
- Responsible for the effective administration of quality control processes within the company.
- Keeping accurate documentation and analyze trends. Other ad hoc duties as required by the company.
Qualifications & Experience
- Grade 12 certificate or equivalent
- Valid IPC-A-610 or ECSS certificate (Preference will be given to aerospace and defense electronics experience)
Experience & Knowledge:
- >5 years working experience in an electronic manufacturing industry
- Knowledge of workmanship standards
- Experience with soldering and conformal coating
- 1-2 years quality control/inspection in the electronic manufacturing industry (Preference will be given to aerospace and defense electronics experience)
- Proficient with MS Office
Competence & Skills
- Positive self-motivated, self-starter attitude
- Team player
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Customer focused
- Able to persuade and influence others
- Flexible and able to multi-task can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment
- Resourcefulness in setting priorities.