NewSpace Systems (NSS) is a trusted multinational spacecraft components and sub-systems manufacturer headquartered in South Africa, with branches in North America, Europe, and Oceania. Leaders in the area of Guidance, Navigation and Control (GNC) products, NSS are supporting the majority of the commercial spacecraft manufacturers, including several blue-chip companies and constellations of 500 satellites and more. Currently exporting to 27 countries across 6 continents, NSS is rapidly increasing its market share.
KEY PURPOSE OF JOB
We have a permanent position for a design engineer to take responsibility for RF design, development and verification on various projects working within a multidisciplinary team.
Design and develop RF solutions used in spacecraft related systems and their associated design documentation, test procedures and calibration systems:
• Attending requirement and proposal discussions with clients when required.
• Derive technical specifications for sub-system requirements based on market and/or Customer needs.
• Research, develop and test theoretical and conceptual designs.
• Derive component requirements for the electronic design using traceable and qualified components.
• Simulate/test the design at various levels, ensuring that a product will work with adequate design margins and will perform reliably and consistently in specified operation environments.
• Document and review all sub-system/product aspects during design phases.
• Test the developed hardware; implement corrections as necessary.
• Interacting with sub-contractors and resolving manufacturing issues.
• Development of production documentation
Other ad-hoc duties as required by company.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
• B.Sc/B.Eng degree in Electronic/Mechatronics Engineering from a recognized institution.
Experience (ideally within aerospace or defence industry):
• High-reliability RF design and realisation (>5 years)
• RF circuit design (>5 years)
• RF simulation using packages like FEKO & AWR Microwave Office (>5 years)
• Practical experience testing and debugging RF circuits (>5 years)
Additional knowledge areas that would strengthen the application.
• Master’s Degree
• Schematic creation and PCB layout (preferably in Altium Designer)
• Familiarity with CAD software and design principles
• Project Management (MS Project or other)
• Experience with programming languages such as Python, C and C#.
• Familiarity/experience designing, developing, and supporting satellite actuator and/or sensor subsystems (reaction wheel, sun sensor, magnetometer, etc.
• Experience working with Optical/Optomechanical systems and/or Electromagnetic design and analysis
COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
• Positive self-motivated, self-starter attitude
• Innovative – thinking ‘outside the box’
• Team player
• Good written and oral communication skills
• Customer focused
• Able to persuade and influence others
• Ability to bounce back
• Flexible and able to multi-task, can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment
• Ability to self-manage and set priorities
If you meet the requirements of this vacancy, please send your cv