The Mission Control System Engineer shall work on multiple projects and assignments, leading all the internal technical activities with an high degree of autonomy during all the subsystem lifecycle, from the specification up to the operations phase.
He/She shall support proposal preparation and sales activities by leading, preparing and delivering all the required contributions inherent to the job position.
The applicant shall be able to coordinate or directly execute the following tasks:
- define the Mission Control subsystem (S/S) specification and review upper level requirement allocation and traceability;
- define and update the Mission Control S/S architecture (functional, software and physical), internal and external S/S interfaces, and technical performance;
- prepare the Mission Control S/S development plans, test plans, test procedures;
- implement, configure and maintain the Mission Control S/S software;
- define the Mission Control S/S hardware specification;
- execute the Mission Control S/S software installation and configuration on hardware platforms;
- participate in the Mission Control S/S test campaigns;
- execute test and validation activities of the Mission Control S/S;
- provide support to the Mission Control S/S integration in the Ground Segment;
- prepare the documentation of the Mission Control S/S during all the project phases;
- participate and prepare the Mission Control S/S milestones, and provide all the relevant contribution to upper level reviews.
The position is based in Rome. The availability to make occasional National and International travels is required. Short-stays at our customers’ premises, based in Italy, may be required only during specific project phases.
The applicant has got a Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in mathematics, physics, computer science, engineering or another relevant discipline. The applicant has at least 5 years professional experience, mostly on Mission Control.
The following expertise is considered as mandatory:
- extensive knowledge on satellite monitor and control
- professional experience on Mission Control engineering / development / operations (no less than 3 years long)
- professional experience on Mission Control software development, configuration, test procedures preparation, execution and reporting
- configuration and operation of mission control systems based on MICONYS® Suite (e.g. SCOS-2000, MATIS) for satellite operations
- Knowledge of Linux OS
- Knowledge of ECSS (with greater focus on E branch, E-70 and E-40 disciplines)
The following expertise is considered as an advantage:
- professional experience on Ground Segment System Engineering
- configuration and operation of mission control software products for satellite operations
- involvement in nanosatellite projects for ground stations and/or open source mission control software
- knowledge / experience on Flight Dynamics systems for Earth Observation missions
- team coordination and project management experience
The applicant shall also possess:
- very good analytical skills
- very good communications and presentation skills
- very good technical writing (generating and delivering) skills
- high level of written and spoken English
- high level of written and spoken Italian
The position can be opportunely tailored to the applicant level of experience; job tasks and associated required degree of autonomy will be consequently adjusted.
The applicant will be capable of approaching the technical tasks with rigour and discipline, developing and following a systematic, thorough and results-oriented approach.
NEXT Ingegneria dei Sistemi S.p.A. is an Italian SME that provides systems and services in the field of Information Technology. Since 2018, NEXT is part of Defence Tech Holding group and it currently employees about 2o0 staff distributed among its headquarter in Rome, other Italian offices, its unit in The Netherlands and customer premises. The company supplies systems, services and products in the field of Information Technology for Defence, Aerospace, Transport, Telecommunications and Public Administration markets for key institutions and national Large System Integrators.
NEXT offering in the space market embraces turnkey software development, mission engineering, system engineering support, ground segment engineering and subsystems supply, satellite AIT support, operation engineering, satellite and ground operation support, big data analytics and management, and R&D activities. NEXT has a long track record of completed tasks, projects, and engineering support activities for main national prime contractors, Italian Space Agency, European Space Agency, European Commission, and National institutions.