Northrop Grumman solves the toughest problems in space.
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION: Yes
RELOCATION ASSISTANCE: Relocation assistance may be available
CLEARANCE TYPE: Secret
TRAVEL: Yes, 10% of the Time
Join Northrop Grumman on our continued mission to push the boundaries of possible across land, sea, air, space, and cyberspace. Enjoy a culture where your voice is valued and start contributing to our team of passionate professionals providing real-life solutions to our world’s biggest challenges. We take pride in creating purposeful work and allowing our employees to grow and achieve their goals every day by Defining Possible. With our competitive pay and comprehensive benefits, we have the right opportunities to fit your life and launch your career today.
Northrop Grumman Marine Systems (NGMS) is seeking a Manager of Manufacturing Engineering for our Sunnyvale, CA facility. This individual will manage the Manufacturing Engineering team responsible for supporting Propulsion and Power Generation machinery product lines through all processes related to final system assembly, machinery to test stand integration, final acceptance testing, and test facility system design, operation and maintenance. The group will be responsible for providing production support, such as defining Manufacturing Instructions for routings, optimizing sequence of operations, identifying continuous improvement opportunities to improve efficiency, implementing process or equipment changes, tooling and shop aid needs to improve throughput, and processing material discrepancies.
Core job responsibilities consist of the following:
- Lead the team to monitor and improve manufacturing processes, increase efficiency, reduce product cost and improve yields on all products.
- Exhibit competent knowledge of all processes on the floor and pro viding technical oversight of direct reports work.
- Interface with Process Area Managers (PAM’s), Operations Program Managers (OPM’s) and Programs on a daily basis to understand technical issues and where we need to focus efforts in supporting production.
- Administer and oversee technical program/project execution by managing scope, tasks/schedules/cost projections for all projects.
- Support career development, employee engagement, time approval, staffing, yearly reviews and all other related activities for team members.
- Provide guidance to engineering regarding design concepts and specification requirements to best utilize equipment and manufacturing techniques.
- Oversee and help coordinate process improvement activities that reduce machining time and increase throughput.
- Act as main process area interface when investigating, identifying and resolving discrepancies and performance issues when necessary. Understand impacts to production and coordinate providing alternate processing recommendations.
- Support the identification and procurement of equipment, facility preparation/improvement and preventative maintenance.
- Support the identification of and improvement for product and process specific safety issues.
- Bachelors Degree with 9+ years of experience; Master’s with 7+years of experience; PhD with 4+ years of experience.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience.
- Exposure to machining, welding and assembly processes.
- 2+ years of technical project management.
- 2+ years of experience managing a team of 8+ members (direct or matrixed reports).
- Ability to obtain and maintain a secret clearance (US Citizenship).
- Bachelors Degree in STEM discipline.
- Experience with the development of machining processes for large rotational elements, gearing and stationary components.
- Working knowledge of multi-axis machining center operation using conventional machining methods of metallic components (Milling, Turning, Boring, Hobbing, Grinding).
- Exposure to advanced cutting tool technology for improving metal removal and tool life management.
- Experience in CAD/CAM applications: Modeling complex assemblies and tools; Generating Tool Paths; Implementing efficient and cost-effective solutions to machining of complex parts of various geometric dimensions requiring adherence to tight tolerances; Feature based machining, hole making and part family programming; On-machine probing; CMM equipment and processes.
- Experience in facilities and capital planning, resource and capacity planning and control account management practices.
- Familiarity with the capabilities and constraints of common assembly practices.
- Knowledge of Military, SAE, ASTM and AGMA specifications.
- Ability to obtain Secret Clearance Classification.
- Knowledge of special processing operations such as Heat Treating, Non-Destructive Testing, Shot Peening, Coating, and Plating.
Employees may be eligible for a discretionary bonus in addition to base pay. Annual bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results. Employees in Vice President or Director positions may be eligible for Long Term Incentives. In addition, Northrop Grumman provides a variety of benefits including health insurance coverage, life and disability insurance, savings plan, Company paid holidays and paid time off (PTO) for vacation and/or personal business.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.