Northrop Grumman solves the toughest problems in space.
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history – from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
We have an opening for an Integration and Test Engineering Manager 1 to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals in the Tactical Space organization. This position will be located in Dulles, VA.
This Integration and Test Engineering Manager Position reports to the Sr. Manager for the Integration and Test Electrical and RF engineering (ITEE_RF) group for the electronic engineers performing satellite integration and test activities at the Dulles Satellite Manufacturing Facility (SMF).
Technical responsibilities for this position will include an in-depth understanding of the satellite electrical and/or communications systems. To be successful in this role you should possess a Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering discipline, plus eight years of related spaceflight industry experience and become a technical expert of a spacecraft subsystem or program. The ability to lead ITEE_RF team members both on the floor as well as in the preparation and planning of Integration and Test activities is essential. Overseeing the technical readiness reviews, test reviews, and failure review boards is also essential.
Management responsibilities for this position will be to manage technical personnel assigned to the department, as well as ensuring qualified and appropriate personnel (and supporting processes and tooling, etc.) are assigned to meet the needs of all programs. In addition, this position is directly responsible for the processes for completing work in their assigned functional field.
You must possess demonstrated management and leadership skills, including excellent interpersonal skills, verbal and written communication abilities. You will be responsible for managing technical programs and projects, schedule, cost, and personnel resources across multiple programs. This includes identifying and addressing program risks to ensure integration success, training and mentoring staff in standard processes, problem solving, facilitating technical solutions based on sound engineering practices, providing staff with the appropriate resources to solve problems, tracking program and department schedules, working to identify key parameters and metrics to increase efficiency and reduce program costs, planning staffing requirements, and completing performance reviews for assigned direct reports.
You must be able to identify and allocate the appropriate staff, and manage the processes required to electrically integrate and test multiple systems simultaneously in the Dulles Satellite Manufacturing Facility. You will ensure that integration and test activities are carried out as scheduled and establish schedules and work flows that can quickly adapt to changing priorities. Focus for this level is team management and innovation through cross product line tactical operations, process improvements, and solutions. All operations require a “Buddy system” for checks and balances.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a STEM field (ideally Engineering) with at least 1 year of experience leading or supervising a team or projects; must have demonstrated management/leadership skills with the ability to work both independently and as a member of a multi-disciplinary team in a fast paced environment
- 5+ years of Integration and testing experience with excellent written and oral communications skills and technical presentation experience
- Second/third shift 24/7, weekend work, and occasional travel are required of everyone. Rotating off-shift coverage allows Engineers to plan ahead up to 3 months, but last minute requests are common to support the dynamic schedules seen in I&T. Must be willing to support these schedules
- Ability to establish schedules and workflows with the capability to manage and schedule quickly changing priorities
- US citizenship with the ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret Security Clearance
- Knowledge of Electrical and RF satellite subsystems
- Ability to foresee and communicate multiple project level tasks and interactions beyond day-to-day assignments with Estimates To Complete (ETC). Help plan look-a-heads and avoid pitfalls with projects and leadership. Participate in complex anomaly and non-conformance resolutions
- Experience helping manage tactical floor operations including resource loading, priorities, and communication with numerous project/program teams
- Experience working inside Clean Rooms and space flight hardware handling and related operational protocols strongly preferred
- Industry knowledge of new processes and test methodologies with continual efforts for cost reduction and process improvements. Ability to research, propose improvements, develop ROI, test, and communicate with management regarding new processes and proposals.
- Security Clearance not required to start, but ability to initiate clearance process is strongly preferred