NorthStar Earth & Space uses optical telescope data as the building blocks to create information services tailored to the needs and requirements of clients from both government and industry.
Who we are and what we do
NorthStar Earth & Space uses optical telescope data as the building blocks to create information services tailored to the needs and requirements of clients from both government and industry. Our extensive development portfolio includes orbit dynamics and machine learning algorithms for a variety of applications for space domain awareness and space traffic management. With headquarters in Montreal, Canada, European headquarters in Luxembourg and a wholly owned subsidiary in McLean, Virginia, the company is solving the ever-increasing threat of space collisions and empowering humanity to preserve our planet.
NorthStar is looking for an Orbital Dynamics Specialist to contribute as a subject matter expert to a space operation contract by providing analysis space object activity using various space situational awareness (SSA) tracking data.
Who you’ll work with
You will be joining a navigation ops team dedicated to performing real time SSA function, using the NorthStar orbit dynamics product suite.
You will work closely with the Space Information and Intelligence (SI2) multidisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, software developers and product owners based in Montreal who is dedicated to developing innovative solutions for monitoring the space environment using multiple sources for observations and geospatial data.
What you will do
- Monitor operation activity and task request from the client.
- Monitor NorthStar product pipeline for contribution to client’s request.
- Perform ad-hoc analyses and script development to provide orbit determination-based solutions to the clients. This includes initial orbit determination, state vector estimation, anomaly detection, maneuver determination.
- Support the development of the NorthStar’s core SSA tools by providing inputs to product development priorities.
- Develop processes and procedures for real-time operations
What you bring to the table
- A minimum of a Master of Science Degree in Engineering, Science, or fields related to astrodynamics is required.
- Strong experience working with space object navigation data.
- Experience/knowledge of orbital mechanics and estimation theory.
- Experience/knowledge of algorithm development, statistical analysis, database manipulation, and/or cloud computing.
- Code development in Java or Python or equivalent scripting language is a bonus.
- Familiarity with Orekit or equivalent libraries.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team, to think independently and handle multitask environments.
- You’re a strong communicator. You can adapt your communication style to different audiences and can translate complex information into simple words.
What you can expect
- Contribute to a company whose mission is to protect our planet and Space
- You will work with a highly collaborative team of world-class experts in different domains. This will provide you with better awareness of challenges in Space and on Earth and their impact on our environment.
- A stimulating challenge and a high-visibility project
- A competitive salary
- Flexible working hours An office located on Boulevard de la Pétrusse, within walking distance of the historic city centre and the main railway station
NorthStar is committed to creating and fostering a safe and inclusive work environment where our employees feel valued and heard. We strongly encourage applications from candidates from different backgrounds who can bring greater diversity to the way we think, including racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities and persons of all ages, backgrounds, sexual orientations, gender identities and gender expressions.