We believe in a future in which goods and information are exchanged alongside a human sustainable presence at Solar system scale. Our goal is to facilitate those flows. We see three features to reach this goal: SOLVE · CONNECT · EXPLORE.
ODYSSEUS Space is searching for an Optical Engineer with 3 or more years of experience in design, breadboarding and calibration of custom optical systems.
About ODYSSEUS Space
ODYSSEUS Space is an international company operating in Luxembourg and in Taiwan, developing products for space market and providing services to institutional research clients since 2016. With the long-term vision to facilitate the flow of information and goods in the Solar System, the company is investing in development of key technologies for Earth or Lunar orbit and for interplanetary space: laser communication and autonomous navigation.
Since 2019 most development activities of ODYSSEUS are carried out in Luxembourg, alongside several other space start-ups from small but vibrant new space community. The hard-working atmosphere at ODYSSEUS is combined with openness and flexibility of a small team. We value the autonomy of our team members and support each other in our personal and professional growth.
With ODYSSEUS entering a new phase of product development, we are searching for motivated professionals to join our young international team to work on the next-generation commercial products that will shape the space missions of tomorrow.
Description of the Job
As an Optical Engineer part of ODYSSEUS Space team in Luxembourg, you will be responsible for optical design and breadboarding of CYCLOPS laser communication terminals. As a part of a larger team, you will contribute to the definition of laser and pointing subsystems, opto- mechanical design, and in later stages component procurement, calibrations, and performance analysis.
The job involves design and simulation of free space optical assemblies in CAD software (Zemax or similar), prototyping an end-to-end free space optical channel in the lab, active collaboration with systems engineer, mechanical engineer, and AIT engineer, preparing detailed documentation for manufacturing.
ODYSSEUS Space offers a permanent position in Luxembourg (relocation assistance possible), with a competitive salary and unique career development opportunities.
Essential qualifications, experience, skills, requirements:
- MSc / PhD degree (or equivalent) in a relevant field, with at least 3 years of experience
- Experience in optical design for space environment
- Experience in building and operating optical benches with visible and NIR lasers
- Familiarity with scripting languages (Python or MATLAB) for measurement data processing – Experience of working autonomously as well as working in a team
- Experience in writing and delivering technical documentation
- English oral and writing proficiency
- Willingness to join our team on-site and participate in a start-up adventure
Nice to have:
- Familiarity / experience with fibre-optical equipment and semiconductor lasers – Familiarity / experience with APD, PIN and FPA detectors
- Familiarity with optical communication principles and equipment
- European Union citizenship or Luxembourgish residency
- Desire to learn and share knowledge at work
- Self-accountability, creativity and optimism
- Passion for space