ONERA, a central player in aeronautical and space research, prepares the defense of tomorrow, responds to the aeronautical and space challenges of the future, and contributes to the competitiveness of the aerospace industry.
Presentation of ONERA
ONERA, a central player in aeronautical and space research, employs more than 2,000 people. Placed under the supervision of the Ministry of the Armed Forces, it has a budget of 266 million euros (2022), more than half of which comes from study, research and test contracts. State expert, ONERA prepares the defense of tomorrow, responds to the aeronautical and space challenges of the future, and contributes to the competitiveness of the aerospace industry. He masters all the disciplines and technologies in the field. All the major civil and military aerospace programs in France and Europe carry part of ONERA’s DNA: Ariane, Airbus, Falcon, Rafale, missiles, helicopters, engines, radars, etc. Recognized internationally and often awarded, its researchers train many doctoral students.
Presentation of the Department
Among ONERA’s seven Scientific Departments, the Materials and Structures Department’s mission is to meet expectations, anticipate needs and provide its expertise to industrialists in the fields of aeronautics, defense and space in terms of materials and structures. The scientific activities of the Department range from the atom to the structure, and cover all types of aeronautical materials (metallic, composites, ceramics). The Department has approximately 120 permanent staff and around fifty doctoral students. Its research units are located on the sites of Châtillon, Palaiseau and Lille.
In the “Modeling and Characterization of Composite Materials” (MC²) unit, your activities will focus on the experimental study of damage and rupture mechanisms occurring in high-performance composite materials used in the aeronautics and space sectors. , through multi-instrumented mechanical tests intended to be analyzed using advanced material models. You will thus participate in the design and performance of innovative tests on specimens or structures made of composite materials, in collaboration with the experimental team of the MC² unit. Within the framework of internal research projects at ONERA, but also within the framework of national or European collaborative projects, in relation with ONERA’s industrial and academic partners,
- The design of innovative tests taking into account the specificities of composite materials. This theme is central to understanding the mechanisms of damage and rupture of the material as well as for the study of the effects of defects on the mechanical properties, subjects of major interest for our industrial partners. You will participate in the design of test fixtures, using CAD tools, and will take particular care in setting up, carrying out and operating multi-instrumented mechanical tests on composite specimens, in interaction with the modeling part to prepare upstream the exploitation of the experimental results by numerical simulation.
- Performing tests on composite structures on high capacity hydraulic machines. You will carry out quasi-static tests and fatigue tests on composite structures of various dimensions. These tests will potentially be instrumented by means of optical cameras for image correlation, thermal cameras, optical observation systems under load and acoustic emission sensors. You will participate in the design of the adaptation parts necessary for the implementation of the experimental configurations designed with the team’s research engineers and will contribute to the formatting, analysis and exploitation of the test results. You will have the opportunity to participate in the development of a multi-cylinder test platform on structures (of several meters of characteristic dimension),
- Engineer (or doctor) in the field of mechanics;
- Good knowledge of the specificities of composite materials;
- Prior experience necessary in carrying out mechanical tests (internship or student project accepted);
- Knowledge of different test instrumentation methods (for example: image correlation, infrared thermography, extensometry, or acoustic emission);
- Desired skills in mechanical design (CAD);
- Prior experience appreciated in carrying out tests with multi-cylinder piloting;
- Appreciated knowledge of hydraulic networks;
- Good command of English, read, written and spoken.
Joining ONERA means joining the leading player in aeronautics and space research in France, it means building the future now, it means innovating every day in a cutting-edge sector.
At ONERA, you will find a balance between professional life and personal life and an environment that promotes the continuous training of employees.
Our company is committed to a policy in favor of the integration and continued employment of people with disabilities