STUDY AND RESEARCH ENGINEER IN SYSTEMS SIMULATION M/F
ONERA, a central player in aeronautical and space research, employs more than 2,000 people. Placed under the supervision of the Ministry of the Armed Forces, it has a budget of 266 million euros (2022), more than half of which comes from study, research and test contracts. State expert, ONERA prepares the defense of tomorrow, responds to the aeronautical and space challenges of the future, and contributes to the competitiveness of the aerospace industry. He masters all the disciplines and technologies in the field. All the major civil and military aerospace programs in France and Europe carry part of ONERA's DNA: Ariane, Airbus, Falcon, Rafale, missiles, helicopters, engines, radars, etc. Recognized internationally and often awarded, its researchers train many doctoral students.
The DTIS department declines within its scope the mission of ONERA, the heart of which is to develop and guide research in the aerospace field. This scope covers the following themes: system identification and control, information perception and processing, artificial intelligence and decision-making, systems and software engineering, cognitive engineering and human-system interaction, applied mathematics and scientific computing, design and optimization. systems, safety and security of cyber-physical systems, robotics and autonomy.
Its activities concern Aeronautics, Space, Defense purposes, with the main applications being aircraft (transport aircraft, combat aircraft, drones, airships, helicopters, etc.), aerospace systems (air transport system, launchers, satellites, etc.) , information systems (surveillance, localization systems, etc.), defense systems (missiles, systems of systems, etc.).
Spread over 3 sites (Palaiseau, Toulouse, Salon de Provence, the department brings together skills in system control, information processing, artificial intelligence, systems and software engineering, human-system interaction, applied mathematics, design and optimization. systems, safety and security, robotics and autonomy.
In the Simulation, Infrastructure and Model Integration (S2IM) unit, you will join a team specialized in the Systems of Systems field covering four areas (Defence, Space, Civil Security and Aeronautics). S2IM is in charge of the development of technical operational simulators including the BatteLab and the SpaceLab; strategic technical means for ONERA. These tools, fully mastered internally, require significant development at several levels: simulation engine, business models and cross-functional tools.
To strengthen this skill, and in particular in the field of Defense, we are looking for an experienced research and design engineer to participate in large-scale contractual studies. These studies require the development of specific applications based on our technical-operational simulators. You will be a major player in carrying out this work and you will have to take over the technical responsibility for certain tasks and even, in the long term, certain projects. As an expert in the field of technical-operational simulation, you will contribute to the orientation of technical choices and feed the roadmap of our tools.
As such, your missions will consist of:
- contribute to the performance of contractual studies by carrying out development work requested by customers; this can also take the form of system studies (use of simulations) and associated analyses;
- actively participate in the management of projects in the unit (from assembly to closure of the study);
- quickly build skills on the tools developed in the unit and become one of the referents;
- be a source of proposals to participate in the development of new means and new functionalities to strengthen existing tools.
Your missions are conditioned by obtaining a National Defense clearance.
- Graduated from an engineering school, you benefit from 5 to 10 years’ experience in technical-operational simulation.
- Demonstrated expertise in systems of systems simulation;
- Very good knowledge of advanced object programming (Design patterns, meta-programming) and in the following languages: C/C++ and Python;
- Significant experience in technical project management;
- Computer knowledge in the following areas will be appreciated: GPU computing, 3D, webservices;
- Knowledge of defense systems would be desirable;
Joining ONERA means joining the leading player in aeronautics and space research in France, it means building the future now, it means innovating every day in a cutting-edge sector.
At ONERA, you will find a balance between professional life and personal life and an environment that promotes the continuous training of employees.
Our company is committed to a policy in favor of the integration and continued employment of people with disabilities.