Open Cosmos are revolutionising space technology and opening up the cosmos to everyone. Our simple, affordable satellite missions give organisations the chance to use space technology as a tool to get your ideas into orbit. Our mission is to make the leaps in space that become the leaps on Earth.
Compiled of 50+ people from over 15 nationalities, we have a culturally diverse workforce full of Engineers, Software Developers, Business developers and Mission Managers! Beyond the office, we have bakers, long distance runners, climbers, rowers, golfers and mixed martial artists!
By making space data more accessible and affordable, we want to be the platform that allows applicable solutions to be the prevention, not the cure. When tragedy strikes, Earth Observation satellites can be used to detect where resources would be most effective and map out the scale of damage to help decision makers rebuild
Description of the Position
The successful candidate will be joining the Open Cosmos Tech team in Harwell-Oxford (UK). She/He will take responsibility for the AOCS subsystem of flight projects through all phases from early design till on-orbit operations.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Design, test and validation of AOCS systems in the context of space mission projects.
- Derivation of AOCS requirements from top-level requirements.
- Propose technical solutions that satisfy the requirements taking into account overall spacecraft system considerations, drivers and constraints.
- Work on the design, implementation and validation of the AOCS strategies and algorithms with different teams and partners.
- Work on the design, procurement, manufacturing and test of AOCS hardware and software.
- Support the orbital operations team with your expertise.
- Support other teams in assessment sales, customer support or any other business areas that require technical support as needed.
- Input to the company technical roadmap and.
- Work in several space mission projects as AOCS expert and point of contact.
Skills, attitude and experience
- MSc or PhD; university degree in related disciplines (e.g. aerospace, control engineering…)
- Proven industrial experience in AOCS product engineering.
- Experience in supporting the AIT phase of satellite missions
- Experience in supporting orbital operations team for AOCS commissioning and nominal operations support
- Experience in development and verification of AOCS algorithms in MATLAB or similar, including hardware in the loop verification
- Experience in software implementation of AOCS algorithms, C or similar
- Drive to learn and coach others
- Self-driven attitude with problem-solving mentality
Nice to have
- Space systems engineer experience
- Experience in spacecraft mission operations
- Supply chain network
You will enjoy
- Working with a team of passionate people to help solve the world’s biggest challenges
- Working at one of the world’s leading space campuses
- 25 days holidays + 8 bank holidays
- Attractive Pension Scheme & Immediate enrolment
- Social clubs organised by the team – so far we’ve got Run Club, Paella Club, ice-skating Club and Thirsty Club
- Remote working and Home working as per company policy
- Annual Salary Review