Open Cosmos are revolutionising space technology and opening up the cosmos to everyone. Our simple, affordable satellite missions give organisations the chance to use space technology as a tool to get your ideas into orbit. Our mission is to make the leaps in space that become the leaps on Earth.
Compiled of 50+ people from over 15 nationalities, we have a culturally diverse workforce full of Engineers, Software Developers, Business developers and Mission Managers! Beyond the office, we have bakers, long distance runners, climbers, rowers, golfers and mixed martial artists!
By making space data more accessible and affordable, we want to be the platform that allows applicable solutions to be the prevention, not the cure. When tragedy strikes, Earth Observation satellites can be used to detect where resources would be most effective and map out the scale of damage to help decision makers rebuild
Description of the Position
You will be joining the Open Cosmos software development team where you will be responsible for designing, implementing, testing, delivering and maintaining several of the software modules of one of our core products: OpenApp Mission Control Software. A satellite constellation control software that is used by internal operators and external customers alike, to operate the constellation of multi-customer, multi-satellite and multi-ground station missions.
Our product is a cloud-native web-based application built with modern technologies (microservices, kubernetes, golang, etc). We work using a DevOps and Agile methodology, where we combine frequent iteration cycles with the responsibility of keeping the application operative.
This is a unique opportunity within the industry as most mission control softwares for satellites are built with the waterfall methodology and monolithic approaches. We encourage applicants who only have experience in satellite ground segments as well as applicants who only have experience in microservices backends to apply.
Moving forward we will face many challenges that you might help resolve, ranging from new modules such as a scripting solution to allow automation in operations; improve architecture to seemingly support different satellite platforms; increase observability and tracing; or multi-cloud deployments among many others, you will find a project that suits your interests.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Participate in software architecture design
- Lead the design and implementation of new back-end modules
- Help build and maintain reliable CI/CD with automated testing
- Work with our satellite operators to improve their user experience
- Input to the technical roadmap
Skills, attitude and experience
Experience in at least one of the following:
- Experience in microservices-based back-end development with Golang.
- Experience and knowledge of common ground segment and space standards such as CCSDS, ECSS, CSP, Space Packets, etc.
- Experience in integrating development operations & developer experience tools
- Commitment and a proactive attitude, always seek continuous improvement
- Quick to learn and coach others, excited to learn new technologies
- Be a teamplayer, always speak your mind honestly and respectfully when there is a problem to solve, so that the team discussion is healthy and productive
- Constantly try to strike a good balance in determining what to build depending on the current context and the company’s mission and long term goals
Nice to have
- Experience working with Kubernetes and GKE would be highly valued
- Experience with space systems
- Experience with space links, encoding and modulation
- Experience maintaining and managing SQL databases
- Knowledge of tools such as GitLab CI/CD, HTTP REST, RabbitMQ, GRPC, Terraform, Unix Command Line, Bash scripting and build systems
You will enjoy
- Working with a team of passionate people to help solve the world’s biggest challenges
- Working at one of the world’s leading space campuses
- 25 days holidays + 8 bank holidays
- Attractive Pension Scheme & Immediate enrolment
- Social clubs organised by the team
- Remote working and Home working as per company policy
- Annual Salary Review