Gas Stations in Space™
We are creating the on-orbit infrastructure needed to get humans into space, starting with the first in-orbit propellant depot. Everyone here is building that. So will you.
Orbit Fab likes to move fast, break barriers, and change the way space missions work.
We’re looking for the best minds, backed by a practical can-do attitude.
We describe here the skills, qualifications, and responsibilities that we need to have as a team. You don’t need all of them. Your aptitude for complex technical challenges and your practical experience designing/building/coding stuff will trump specific qualification or tools any day!
Position Purpose: As a Mechanical Engineer, you will support the engineering team in design, analysis, testing and prototyping of flight hardware for complicated mechanisms. Working within the mechanism group, you’ll be tasked with investigating design problems, providing justification of decision making and bringing a sound technical approach. This position will allow you to work independently and exercise your judgment, as well as be part of a cross-specialty team to solve the engineering problems that accompany mechanisms in space.
- Mechanism design including motors, bearings, rotary and linear actuators
- Mechanism system architecture affecting the mission as a whole and the products that will interface with the mechanism
- Analyses required to satisfy internal requirements for mechanism performance, life, and environment
- Modelling and design documentation of the mechanical systems using CAD
- Support of assembly and test including performance, shock, vibration and space environments
- Proactively identify roadblocks to technical progress and take steps to mitigate/avoid
- Produce a quality engineering product on time
- Give effective presentations to the team and customers
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department. Interact appropriately with others to maintain a positive and productive work environment
- US Person (Citizen or Permanent Resident)
- BS in Mechanical (or Aerospace) Engineering with 4+ years of experience OR MS with 2+ years of experience
- Proficient with computer aided design and analysis tools
- Experience developing mechanical structures or mechanism systems for space applications
- Shows initiative by demonstrating personal ownership of designs, seeking input from the Systems and cross functional engineers
- Can work autonomously, views work with a critical eye, prepares and gives peer reviews of work prior to critical milestones to peers.
- Collaborative and team focused
- Excellent communication, analytical, organizational, strategic, and statistical skills
- An effective sense of urgency and ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast paced, small company environment
Nice to Haves:
- Experience with LabView and MATLAB
- Experience with Onshape CAD software
- Experience with analysis software tools, such as Ansys
- Have flown flight hardware and followed through on designs from inception to final qualified product
- Have experience working with thermal and electrical teams to make better mechanical decisions for product development
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain safety critical code of flight systems in space
- Expertise working spacecraft or launch vehicle operations
- Familiarity with RPOD Rendezvous, Proximity Operations, and Docking flight operations
The day to day work will take place in San Francisco, though a new facility is planned for the US Mountain States. You will support a diverse team of talented engineers across multiple projects. You will lead the technical development of projects that suit your areas of focus.
“Orbit Fab Inc does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.”