Gas Stations in Space™
Currently satellites carry with them one tank of fuel and cannot be refueled. This single-use architecture greatly limits satellite mobility and the development of economic activities in Space. Orbit Fab is working to establish the first Gas Stations in Space. We are developing the refueling technology and the entire fuel supply chain architecture. We supply fuel in space for satellites to refuel and to continue operating without having to worry about running out of fuel.
Established in 2018, we have already flown three tankers to space; with the first one flown within one year of founding. We work closely with partners and customers in the larger space industry ecosystem to make thriving in-space economy a reality.
We describe here the skills, qualifications, and responsibilities that we need to have as a team. You don’t need all of them. Your aptitude for complex technical challenges and your practical experience designing/building/coding stuff will trump specific qualifications or tools any day!
As the Production Planner II/III at Orbit Fab, you will be responsible for supporting our Production and Manufacturing team on assembly inventory management and production management. You will have the opportunity to define a production process and system. To succeed, you will need to be extremely detail oriented, process driven and an exceptional communicator. This person will work both internally with our team as well as externally with suppliers and vendors.
- Develop production schedules to meet top assembly build requirements and sales needs
- Plans, schedules and drives procurement needs of materials for manufacturing of mechanical assemblies and products
- Utilize planning tools and systems to maintain accurate data, status and reporting of WIP
- Track build execution, BOM and revision management of hardware
- Support production development, application, prototyping and introduction of new or alternate part materials to the assembly line
- Process development and documentation for hardware builds and test production
- Strategizing with team to ensure needs are met on time
- Identify opportunities to drive value through improvements in manufacturing processes like minimizing downtime, rework, and inventory.
- Determine inventory management strategies for safety stock, sparing plans, and material expenditures
- Assist team in ad-hoc procurement, supplier strategizing, and sourcing projects as needed
- Develop processes to streamline purchase requests and tracking to budgets
- Serve as the liaison between Engineering, Production and Finance to keep development progressing
- Take ownership of the purchasing pipeline, including vendor management and receiving/inspection of assembly parts.
- Work with engineers to troubleshoot and solve technical issues with sourced parts
- Drive closure to open issues with cross-functional team disciplines and develop creative problem solving solutions
- Be willing to cross train in multiple areas of specialty
- Provide input for continuous process improvement, develop more refined ways of manufacturing and assembling mechanical parts and components
- US Person (US Citizen or Permanent Resident)
- 4+ years working in manufacturing or planner capacity, preferably working on space qualified hardware or precision mechanical assembly environment
- Bachelor’s degree, or in lieu of degree, candidates with 5-6 years of directly related professional experience
- Familiarity with mechanical parts, machining, kitting parts, inventory control and purchasing processes for assembly piece parts
- Possess strong problem solving and communication abilities
- Familiarity with ERP or Manufacturing Execution Software applications
- Collaborative and team focused
- Excellent communication, analytical, organizational, strategic, problem solving and statistical skills
- An effective sense of urgency and ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast paced, small company environment
Nice to Haves:
- Aerospace Workmanship Standards: J-STD-001 Space Addendum, NASA STD 8739
- Space environmental testing and test flow (ie. Shock, Vibration, TVAC, Thermal, Life,
- Planning automation, lean manufacturing, and process improvement background
- Familiarity with streamline enterprise planning and API web tools