Gas Stations in Space™
Currently satellites carry with them one tank of fuel and cannot be refueled. This single-use architecture greatly limits satellite mobility and the development of economic activities in Space. Orbit Fab is working to establish the first Gas Stations in Space. We are developing the refueling technology and the entire fuel supply chain architecture. We supply fuel in space for satellites to refuel and to continue operating without having to worry about running out of fuel.
Established in 2018, we have already flown three tankers to space; with the first one flown within one year of founding. We work closely with partners and customers in the larger space industry ecosystem to make thriving in-space economy a reality.
As the Senior GNC Engineer at Orbit Fab you will be responsible for developing guidance, navigation, and control systems to support a variety of upcoming Orbit Fab missions. A major emphasis is on reliable filtering and controls schemes for spacecraft proximity operations and docking.
Below are the skills, qualifications, and responsibilities that we need to have as a team. You don’t need all of them. Your aptitude for complex technical challenges and your practical experience designing/building/coding stuff will trump specific qualification or tools any day!
- Develop control schemes for Orbit Fab’s technologies including spacecraft attitude and maneuver controllers
- Architect, plan and implement software solutions for control during in-space formation flying and proximity operations
- Plan and implement tests and simulations of spacecraft controls systems
- Assist in overall system design and development providing input to trade studies and hardware selection particularly for thruster configuration and allocation and navigation sensor selection.
- Develop navigation approach that has different sensors or processing of the sensor data at different ranges, smoothly transition between those approaches, and be robust to failures and degrades gracefully.
- Directly interact with the customers, both government and commercial
- Manage the GNC project/tasks, interact with contractors and vendors to meet the needs of the project
Experience, Qualifications, and Characteristics
- Knowledge of linear and non-linear systems, feedback control, signal processing, and signal filtering
- Experience developing control laws for complex dynamic systems
- Experience implementing controls in software including (Python, Matlab, Simulink, C or similar programming languages
- Experience with sensor fusion for use in space navigation. Kalman filter tuning.
- Ability to develop simulations to test and analyze controller and filter performance
- Ability to plan and implement tests of control system performance using flight or flight-like hardware
- Expertise working in a diverse, multidisciplinary team environment that includes business communication and diverse engineering disciplines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- BS degree and six (6) years of related engineering experience, or
- MS degree in related field and four (4) years of related engineering experience, or
- Ph.D. in related field and (2) years of related experienc
Nice to Have
- Hands-on experience developing flight software
- Familiarity with RTOS, determinism, safety-critical systems, and hard- or soft-real-time design constraints (RTEMS, FreeRTOS, Rate-Monotonic Analysis and system resource monitoring)
- Experience with computer vision, sensor fusion, and machine learning
- Familiarity with terrestrial or space-based computer vision systems
- MS or higher in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, or similar
Familiarity with space flight operations and procedures
- Experience with MATLAB and Simulink toolboxes, particularly computer vision or embedded coder toolboxes
- Experience with requirements management, decomposition, and communication.
- Active Security Clearance