Building the space infrastructure of the future
Who we are?
Orbital Outpost X is an ambitious start up working towards building a commercial space station in Low Earth Orbit. We envision a station that is capable of growing with the market and provide a range of services to the upcoming LEO economy. We want to be able to host up to 100 humans in LEO for a range of activities. We are searching for ideal candidates who are interested in pushing the boundaries of what is currently possible is space and are able to think creatively to solve the challenges that will be needed to make a human populated space station a reality.
The ideal candidate will not be discouraged by difficult work. We are a small company, 1 year old company that will give its employees ample room to grow and expand their knowledge and careers.
The successful applicant will be responsible for leading and managing the design, development, and test of a space robot system servicing a commercial space station. Accurate modeling of subsystem and related modules, oversee the design and manufacture of hardware, conduct tests to verify performance, and develop the systems through flight qualification. This role will require working with junior engineers and providing guidance and training to them.
This function is responsible for but not limited to the following:
- Lead and coordinate a team of engineers to design space robotic systems, including specification and design of HW/SW architecture.
- Lead the HW component selection, sensorization, and detailed design, programming, integration and validation of required HW/SW components, including specification and testing.
- Lead project management efforts for managing schedule, budget, and risks
- Drafting and supervising of technical documentation, preparation of presentations and support to the program manager
- Strong knowledge and experience with robotic space systems, subsystems, assemblies, and/or components.
- Broad knowledge and experience in robot mechanisms (arms, tools), robot vision (near, far), robot kinematics, onboard computers, CDHS, Autonomous Fault Management System, Teleoperation, and Ground Support Equipment
- Knowledge and experience with the engineering product lifecycle, ranging from requirements development through design, manufacture, test, and operations.
- Knowledge of operating systems, development frameworks and tools commonly used in robotics (e.g. Linux, ROS, ROS2, Gazebo, Matlab/Simulink…).
- Programming languages commonly used in robotics and machine learning systems: C/C++, Python, etc…
- Knowledge of machine vision applied to robotics.
- Strong competency in project and/or team management
- Superior organization and communication skills
- Microsoft office tools (Word, Excel, Outlook, SharePoint, PowerPoint)
- Creative problem solver
- Effective in working in a start-up environment
- Space systems engineering and development standards in space HW/SW projects in NASA and/or ESA (ECSS) domains.
- Deep learning and machine learning applied to image processing (e.g. CNNs) or other areas of robotics.
- Knowledge of frameworks and development libraries for machine learning and deep learning (e.g. Tensorflow, Pytorch etc).
- Embedded SW development and deployment of solutions on real time systems or on special HW architectures such as FPGA.
- CAD software (e.g. SOLIDWORKS)
- Spanish (reading and writing)
- Bachelor’s degree (masters or higher preferred) in Robotics, Mechanical, Aerospace Engineering, Physics or similar field
- 15+ years’ of extensive experience leading the development of space systems, spacecraft, components, and complex electromechanical systems