Associate Lead Engine Programmer
We are a major AAA games development studio, operating on two continents. We’ve come a long way from being just a local industry pioneer in the early 2000s. Our goal is to always find a right balance between the studio’s heritage and our ambitious plans.
People Can Fly is one of the leading independent AAA games development studios with an international team of hundreds of talented individuals working from offices located in Poland, UK, US, and Canada, and from all over the world thanks to our remote work programs.
Founded in 2002, we made our mark on the shooter genre with titles such as Painkiller, Bulletstorm, Gears of War: Judgment, and Outriders. We are one of the most experienced Unreal Engine studios in the industry and we are expanding it with in-house solutions called PCF Framework.
Our creative teams are currently working on several exciting AAA projects with the top publishers in the industry: Project Gemini with Square Enix and Project Dagger with Take-Two (2K), in addition to a new IP to be self-published and two other games in a concept phase. One of our IPs is also being adapted for VR technology.
With over 20 years of experience, PCF sets out to explore new horizons. We aim to combine our expertise with creativity of the best and most forward-thinking talents in the industry to work together on the new generation of action games for the global gaming community.
If you decide to accompany us on this journey, you’ll have a chance to perfect your craft and expand your knowledge, working alongside leaders in the industry on bringing a brand-new unique experience to the players worldwide.
PCF Framework is a home of coding experts who ensure that the key areas of the Unreal Engine used by PCF are being properly developed across different games and platforms. The team also makes sure that we have less systems to maintain while remaining competitive and is responsible for driving our architecture and R&D initiatives forward.
If you feel yourself able to deliver as nobody else, take ownership of your projects, and are ready to leave a mark on a game you work on, apply now!
- Provide mentorship, direction and best in class engineering principles to ensure quality results and efficient working practices
- Mentor, manage and lead the Engine programming department
- Conduct regular code reviews and manage the coding team to excellence
- Provide day-to-day feedback and creatively solve problems
- Work with the production team to plan development and provide task assignment to programmers’ team schedule
- Maintain and extend the existing PCF Engine framework and tools in cooperation with other internal studios or programmers
- Analyze the requirements of the game teams and define the required functionalities and engine systems that must be developed to support them
- Test existing systems and propose new systems and features implementations
- Test, debug, profile, optimize and document implementations and set a documentation standard for the Engine team
- Stay up to date with features from other engines and provide expertise about possible implementations
- Supervision of documentation created by the team members
- Conduct consistent performance reviews of staff members
- Conduct recruitment projects with HR collaboration
- Conduct onboarding to new hires
- Minimum 8 years of software engineering experience
- At least 2 shipped AAA projects from start to finish with credits as a programmer
- Good mentoring and leadership skills
- Strong C++ knowledge
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4
- Excellent math and/or physics skills
- Passion for writing solid, reliable, efficient code and highly scalable systems
- Experience with multiple core systems, such as graphics, tools, audio, networking, memory handling, scripting, etc.
- Proficiency with Atlassian software (JIRA, Confluence)
- Proficiency with Swarm and Perforce
- Work effectively under tight deadline
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
- Open-minded team player attitude
- Strong work ethic and self-motivated
- Passionate about playing and making videogames
Nice to have
- BS (or higher) in Computer Science or similar discipline (Physics, Math, EE, etc.)
- Scrum certification
What we offer
- A competitive salary and performance-based annual bonuses.
- Private medical healthcare including dental treatment for PCF members and their families (Signal Iduna).
- MultiSport card for you and your family members or friends.
- Access to Worksmile – cafeteria program.
- Free library with a wide range of games and books you have unlimited access to.
- In-company Polish and English language classes.
- Fresh fruit, snacks, and beverages for everyone in the office.
- Flexible working hours.
- Free virtual health and mental wellbeing sessions are included in the plan for members and their dependents.
- Personal development opportunities and ability to work in a global environment.
- Work in a creative team with people full of passion for what they do.