Building the next generation of plasma propulsion.
The RF thruster is the core technology of Phase Four and the driving subsystem of the Maxwell propulsion system. This position will provide the opportunity to see the lifecycle of the Maxwell RF thruster from conception through development and finally operating on orbit. As the Mechanical Engineer on the RF thruster team, you will take ownership of several mechanical systems relating to the RF thruster including spacecraft interfaces, environment testing fixtures, and thermal management systems.
This position is expected to apply first engineering principles in the design, analysis, and test reporting of several core components of the RF thruster. The desired Mechanical Engineer will work closely with a multitude of internal teams to quickly iterate on thruster designs. The Mechanical Engineer is expected to be self-motivated, communicative, and eager to learn in a fast paced environment at a growing start-up.
- Design, analyze and test mechanical assemblies in support of thruster development and mechanical engineering programs throughout the company as needed.
- Create and review engineering drawings for fabrication of parts for development and production.
- Provide failure analysis support for the RF thruster and other Maxwell subsystems.
- Work with a team of engineers to ensure the RF thruster design meets system performance and environmental requirements.
- Conduct trade studies and provide reports to the Lead Propulsion Engineer for continuous development of the RF thruster
- Meet with raw material suppliers to analyze vendor quality
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment with high levels of collaboration with cross-functional teams at every level
- Ability to design mechanical parts and assemblies using Solidworks or similar CAD software
- Ability to perform simple mechanical and thermal analyses using Solidworks or similar CAD software
- Ability to create engineering drawings of mechanical parts and assemblies using Solidworks or similar CAD software
- Experience with GD&T best practices
- Proficient with G Suite, Microsoft Office Suite or related software
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Physics, or a related field