ATG Europe offers excellent working conditions and provides you with all the necessary means to further your career.
ATG Europe and ATG InnovationATG Europe is an innovative technology company specialised in design, analysis and RD for Space and Terrestrial mechanical disciplines. Today, ATG Europe is recognized as a leading provider of specialized engineering, scientific andtechnical services to the aerospace and high-tech industry. Our headquarters are located in Noordwijk, The Netherlands,within the Space Business Park, the technical hub of Europes space activities. We also have subsidiaries in Germany,the UK and Ireland. The Irish establishment of ATG Europe ATG Innovation specialises in the development ofadvanced structural applications for the space industry.
The PhD candidate will develop an automated manufacturing process for thermoset pre-preg grid and lattice structures.The starting point of the development will be an existing one-shot manufacturing process previously developed andpatented by ATG Europe. The automation part of the work will be carried out using an industrial robot with a thermosetpre-preg tow placement head available at the premises of University if Limerick.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- The PhD will be as applied and multidisciplinary as it gets.It will start with the iteration of the requirements and application selection, followed by design and analysis loops, scalingof the real application down to a demonstrator level and various manufacturing and testing trials on a relatively small scaleand of relatively simple shapes;
- He manufactured samples will undergo thorough NDI and microstructural investigationsto identify their quality;
- The mechanical testing campaigns will require proper correlation and improvements of themanufacturing method that would be derived from these correlation efforts;
- The fabrication and potential testing of a cylindrical demonstrator structure will be the final stage of the PhD work;
- Large scale testing of a full scale demonstratormight or might not be part of this programme, depending on the progress and the difficulties encountered along the way;
- The bulk of the work will be performed at the premises of UoL with occasional training and a possible industrial placementat ATG Innovation or ATG Europe.
- You have a 240 ECTS Bachelors or Masters degree in engineering or science (or equivalent) with good scientificunderstanding in areas of structural engineering, composites design, analysis and processing, manufacturingengineering and production automation;
- A minimum of a 2.1 award is required;
- You have prior hands-on experience with composites manufacturing;
- You have experience or good understanding of material quality aspects, testing and test correlation;
- Experience in programming and automation would be a plus;
- You have experience/good understanding of programming code;
- You are proficient in spoken and written English and have good communication and writing skills;
- You are pragmatic, hard-working, independent, creative and have at least a rudimentary sense of humour.
What do we offer
ATG Europe offers excellent working conditions and provides you with all the necessary means to further your career. We believe that training and education, combined with regular assessments and a personal development plan, will create the best environment for growth. If needed we also assist you with settling in your new home or finding the right school for your children. ATG will help in any way it can, including a relocation budget that is applicable for ATG staff as well as employees working at one of our clients.