Daily Earth Data to See Change and Make Better Decisions
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
- As a Product Manager at Planet, you lead complex, multi-disciplinary engineering projects using your engineering expertise and product vision. You plan requirements with internal customers and usher projects through the entire product lifecycle. This includes managing coordinating stakeholder input, product roadmap and schedules, identifying risks, and clearly communicating them to stakeholders. You’re equally at home explaining your analyses and recommendations to executives as you are discussing the technical trade-offs in product development with engineers.
- You will be primarily responsible for the ongoing evolution of Planet’s SkySat products. You will work on one of the core foundations of all of Planet’s products, the 50cm high resolution SkySat imagery global imagery. You’ll be responsible for gathering requirements and setting goals to make Planet’s SkySat imagery ideally suited to all of our users downstream; from our most valuable customers to our internal analytic models. You will work very closely with the other core imagery product managers, as well as engineering and satellite operational teams, to clearly articulate requirements and priorities. In addition, you will look to customers and customer-facing teams to gather feedback that drives consistent and well-maintained improvements. You will be the voice of the customer back to the broader imagery product team as our suite of imagery-based products evolve.
- The mission of Planet’s SkySat imagery PM will be to capture and deliver the highest quality imagery products that the SkySats can physically produce. This is central to Planet’s mission to image the entire Earth every day and make global change visible, accessible, and actionable.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Evolve Planet’s core SkySat imagery catalogue into a kit of building blocks that support infinite downstream products
- Build and maintain a roadmap for constant improvement, support, and maintenance of our SkySat imagery products
- Work closely with Sales and Product Marketing to understand customer needs and how to ensure our imagery products supports user workflows and enable new markets
- Provide guidance to clients, partners, and team members for issue resolution related to your product
- Work across the entire organization to cultivate and drive the product roadmap
- Ensure consistent execution of product lifecycle process from concept to launch through management of people and projects.
- Set project priorities and work through team leads to advance projects from development through implementation
- Capture and prioritize product requirements from multiple sources such as customers, users, Sales, Engineering, Customer Success, Tech Support, etc.
What You Bring:
- 3-5 years experience as a product manager
- Experience in satellite imagery applications and characteristics; familiarity with concepts like resolution, compositing, radiometry, rectification, etc.
- A strong intuitive grasp on working collaboratively in a constantly evolving environment, such as cross-department interactions, and using business/enterprise toolchains for project coordination
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills at the technical level, and using a variety of tools (e.g., JIRA)
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and creative thinking skills
- Must be energetic, empathetic, creative, and self-motivated
- Bachelor’s or master’s in GIS, Geography, Remote Sensing or related field
- Diversity of experience is appreciated and valued
- Creative and flexible problem solver
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits