Using space to help life on Earth
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
About Planet Developer Relations:
At Planet, the Developer Relations team focuses on engaging, empowering and educating developers. Our job is to enable technical users to do amazing things using Planet’s APIs and imagery. As a team we collectively strive to better understand our developer community so that we can equip them for success by building the tools and resources they need.
About the Role:
The Developer Relations team at Planet is seeking an experienced Technical Writer to help make Planet’s APIs visible, accessible, and actionable.
As a member of Planet’s Dev Rel team you’ll have the opportunity to get to know and understand a broad range of technical users, including programmers, data scientists, GIS analysts and more. You’ll also have the opportunity to partner cross-functionally with other teams at Planet including Product and Customer Success.
Documentation at Planet lives in version control and uses the same management processes (issue trackers, PRs, etc) as our code: to create content you’ll use markdown, git, and the Pelican static site generator.
This is a fully remote position on a distributed team: a successful candidate will have previous experience working remotely and can confidently work independently.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Ownership of Planet’s developer documentation, including API docs and platform changelog
- Developing new documentation as part of product release cycles
- Maintain & edit existing documentation, responding to user feedback & internal change requests
- Be Dev Rel’s subject matter expert on all things documentation: conduct PR reviews for and provide peer edits of doc contributions from other Planeteers
- Work with Dev Rel to define a style guide for Planet’s technical documentation
What You Bring:
- 4+ years experience writing developer-focused documentation as a technical writer, developer, developer advocate, or similar
- Comfortable with the tools we use to create docs: Markdown, git & GitLab/GitHub
- A strong belief in the Docs as Code philosophy
- A passion for making complicated technical concepts accessible and meaningful
- Self-reliant/motivated, able to work independently
- Strong opinions that you’re excited to share on what makes “good” documentation
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience creating static site content with Pelican
- Familiarity with geospatial data-related documentation or concepts
- Some experience creating illustrations to increase the impact of written content: resources we’ve used for this on team Dev Rel include Draw.io, Canva and Blush
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
- Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
- “Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
- Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
- “Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please… do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.