Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth. Planet designs, build and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
New catalogues of daily temporal data will soon dominate the global archives. This data and related artificial intelligence technology can shed light on the sustainable development challenges we face, bring revolutionary levels of transparency and drive a culture of data-driven decision making and accountability. We are focused on researching, developing and applying innovative products that will change how our industry measures global activity. For example, we can build systems that detect deforestation within a few days from occurring, anywhere in the world, or extract the most up-to-date maps of roads and buildings for the entire continent of Africa. We are leveraging a number of high profile national and international funded R&D programmes to explore high risk high reward engineering solutions in cooperation with leading institutions worldwide.
The project manager will be responsible for a portfolio of EO research and innovation projects. The projects can cover a range of development levels, from lab-based research, through demonstration to market uptake. He/she will also collaborate fully with a wider team of colleagues at Planet, partner entities, the European Commission and other funding agencies like ESA, the WorldBank and national Ministries. The project manager will contribute to the development and implementation of relevant policies falling under EC treaties in the field of space/EO research and innovation through the management of projects in the programmes under the responsibility of Planet.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Day-to-day operational technical and financial management of multiple projects at the interface between the Planet technical leads and project partners
- Operationalization and timing of all overarching project activities
- Development of advanced applications and contribution to product validation
- Monitor the fulfilment of contractual obligations and ensure quality control.
- Monitor, manage and report risks for successful project execution
- Preparation of deliverables and reports for the management work package
- Ensuring timely submission of deliverables, technical and financial reports of a consortium as a whole
- Organization of project meetings and preparation of minutes
- Maintenance of projects website
- Represent the project in contacts with other team at Planet
- Representation at scientific meetings, user workshops, seminars, conferences and other public events organized by Planet, the EC or by third parties.
- Help prepare, manage, and monitor calls for proposals/ tenders, and the evaluation and selection of projects, including the selection of experts and allocation of experts to proposals.
What You Bring:
- University degree, preferably at the Master’s level, with a background in Earth or Environmental Sciences, or in a related field
- Minimum 3 years professional experience in project management in the field of Space Research and Earth Observations
- Experience in in team coordination and in managing international collaborative research projects
- Demonstrated organizational, precision planning, project management and leadership skills.
- Understanding the scientific process and the challenges, both inherent and unexpected ones, demonstrated scientific expertise in one of the above fields
- Negotiation, communication, and conflict resolution skills.
- Flexibility, proactivity, and curiosity in undertaking new tasks.
- Excellent knowledge of English.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Management and implementation of Horizon2020 projects
- Demonstrated scientific expertise in Earth Observation, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence preferably by a PhD in one of these fields and a related publication record
- Knowledge of software engineering practices.
- Practical programming skills
- Fluency in German.
- Excellent social skills and understanding of international contexts.
- Experience living/working in an international and multicultural environment.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Flexible working hours/home office
- Fruit, snacks, drinks, weekly company lunch
- Office building in a central location close to Zoologischer Garten
- Onsite massages, Urban Sports Club membership, health program
- Birthday and anniversary gifts
- Volunteering benefits
- Stock options
- Corporate benefits
- Recognition and referral program
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Great Team Events
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please… do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.