Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth. Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one. Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles. As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
About the Role:
Come in and help us turn Satellite Imagery Data as a Service into reality!
Equipped with near-infrared, and video capabilities, Planet’s SkySat fleet can revisit any point on Earth at 72 cm resolution and sub-daily basis, higher frequency than any other commercial high resolution satellite imagery provider. We build systems and services to manage satellites activities in orbit.
In this role, you will lead our backend platform team and build a order management platform that tracks the progress of the user requests and helps our spacecraft operators to maximize the efficiency of our fleet. The service also assists with image quality assurance as well as delivering the final products to our customer.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Collaborate effectively with the product organisation and other engineering teams for on-time delivery of products
- Recruit the best, coach, challenge and empower our engineers, helping them to grow and develop into high performing agile and autonomous teams
- Working alongside other leads to establish a continuous learning culture for our teams by sharing your experience, enabling mentoring and other avenues of information sharing
What You Bring:
- Experience leading, developing and mentoring an international team of software engineers (3+ years of experience as a team lead) and working in a cross-functional environment, managing complex projects with various stakeholders throughout an organisation
- Expertise in Agile Software Development methods
- Strong collaboration, communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent development skills in at least one modern programming language, preferably Python
- Experience in Git as source code management system
- Thorough knowledge of database-based applications
- Experience in Linux based environments
- Thorough understanding of REST APIs
- CI/CD knowledge in a backend platform workflow
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Network programming skills
- Knowledge of GCP
- Experience with Elasticsearch or similar
- Knowledge of configuration management tools like Puppet or Ansible
- Experience in Docker
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please… do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.