Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth. Planet designs, build and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The platform engineering team at Planet is seeing a new Software Engineer to help customers interact with Planet data. Your mission will be to build APIs and systems for bringing Planet imagery and insights to our customers. Planet’s customers use a wide array of geospatial applications and the engineer in this position will be responsible for building systems to integrate data into those apps. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, creative, and has at least some experience with geospatial data.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Design, develop, and maintain systems to facilitate the consumption of Planet data in 3rd party applications
- Scale software systems for data delivery with growing customer demand
- Help design the next generation APIs for delivery of data to customers
- Drive usage of Planet data by understanding customer workflows and building systems to support them
What You Bring:
- Experience building customer facing APIs in languages such as Go and Python using tools like git
- Familiarity monitoring and operating highly scalable cloud native software.
- Experience building systems that use cloud based infrastructure such as AWS or GCP
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to work well in a remote setting
What Makes You Stand Out:
- You’ve worked with geospatial data before, even tangentially
- Experience working with OAuth2 flows
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please… do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.