Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
We have a big vision at Planet; support the transition of governments and major geospatial actors toward a blended overhead architecture and embrace purchasing commercial services derived from remote sensing assets. We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we are iterating in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Be a part of our mission and help build a company that is changing the world.
Planet is seeking a candidate to join the company’s Strategy Division to lead partnership engagements aligned with accelerating Planet’s strategic plan. This position combines three central elements:
- Space Systems Partnerships. In alignment with the company’s Business Strategy and the Space Systems roadmap, you will be responsible for representing Planet to a select group of partners to proactively shape and capture special projects. This will include non-standard and custom engagements requiring a close collaboration with the Finance, Legal and Corp Dev teams. You will help to source opportunities and provide analysis and support to Planet’s Corp Dev efforts.
- Strategic Planning. As a member of Planet’s Strategy Division, you will facilitate and support broader company efforts of strategic planning in a rapidly growing, market-making company. You will be the primary interface to the Space Systems team and leadership to support their internal planning efforts to accelerate the company’s business strategy and Space Systems technology roadmap.
- Community Leadership. understand Planet’s technology stack, both space systems and software. You represent Planet’s space systems technology innovation to major North American partners and customers. You will support high-level engagements, be part of the aerospace & geospatial innovation community, and frequently speaking at events.
We’re seeking a candidate to join Planet’s Strategy Division to work on Special Projects and Strategic Planning to accelerate Space Systems’ role within the company’s Business Strategy. Your colleagues are based in San Francisco and Planet currently works from home for the rest of 2020. The candidate needs to have a systems understanding of the aerospace ecosystem from sensors, satellite design, satellite manufacturing, CONOPs, launch and regulatory activities, as well as a commercial-first approach toward market development. The candidate must have a market understanding for remote sensing, the competitive landscape commercially and from national systems, and assess market uptake appetite, readiness and Go-to-Market plan for new technology development and special projects. The right person for Planet knows how to navigate the complex relationships of a fast-growing technology company with multiple priorities and inspire Planet and its partners for future technology and product development that combines difficult, yet attainable engineering challenges with a new humanitarian mission at the core wrapped around an intelligent business model.
The best candidate will know how to:
- Develop and capture integrated initiatives that balance complex aerospace engineering, business development and interpersonal needs;
- Understand the 21st aerospace ecosystem, both from established players and new entrants in the market;
- Think boldly when shaping new missions with a realistic and pragmatic approach towards development;
- Communicate Planet’s unique value proposition externally to early customers for market validation;
- Produce technical and management reports internally to Planet Executive team and the Space Systems Leadership team; and
- Build long-standing, strategic relationships with individuals in government, aerospace and remote sensing communities.
- Nurture long-term project concepts that advance and fortify Planet’s strategic positioning in the aerospace, tech and data communities
This position requires close coordination with both internal and external constituencies, and the ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with Planet’s customers, government prototype partnerships, NGOs, technical partners and Planet team members across the world, in a highly-dynamic, high-growth commercial company. Planet’s services are novel, and thus we are looking for someone to simultaneously educate stakeholders on the broader context of the commercial aerospace opportunities while also specifically understanding short and mid-term opportunities for Planet while keeping an eye on building the case for a new product development.
The candidate will:
- Represent the company in events and grow a personal network of important players in the remote sensing industry and especially in the users community;
- Lead the development of a special project that falls outside of Sales and Business Development, with the goal of expanding the business and when possible creating new verticals for Planet;
- Contribute to Planet’s Strategy Division to maintain and enhance the company’s Business Strategy with focus on Space Systems Division;
- Help building the team, hiring new members and creating an innovation culture;
- Help the CSO develop the company’s vision through gathering market opportunities and industry trends for Planet’s future evolution.
The candidate must have:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent presentation skills;
- A record of strong achievement and relevant experience in the private and public sector in aerospace and remote sensing. A minimum of 7 years of experience is expected;
- Excellent project, time, and budget management skills, and being able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously without sacrificing attention to detail;
- Outstanding communication (speaking and writing), interpersonal, and organizational skills;
- A mixture of high energy, flexibility and team orientation with a direct, honest, and respectful approach to problem solving, and an ability to work both collaboratively towards consensus and independently in a high-growth, commercial company;
- An ability to work closely with organizations in a wide variety of geographies and sectors;
- A deep interest and passion for creating a vibrant 21st century aerospace ecosystem and a commercial GEOINT market; and
- A deep interest in and passion for Planet and its overall mission.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please… do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.