Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we are iterating in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The Calibration, Analytics Ready Data and InterOperability (CARDIO) operations team enables the generation of accurate and interoperable products from Planetscope satellites. There are multiple methods used to characterise image quality and ensure accuracy; from celestial maneuvers to harmonisation of earth-facing on-orbit imagery. The work of the CARDIO team is performed at scale and affects millions of images and terabytes of data.
There is much work to be done and would be a great experience for an up-and-coming engineer who has experience with image processing code at scale and knowledge of image quality issues. This position will focus on development of the Planet Fusion product. Planet Fusion integrates the best features from both public and private satellite sensor resources using a rigorous methodology to enhance, harmonize, inter-calibrate, and fuse cross-sensor data streams.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Driving and implementing continuous improvements in the Planet Fusion product and supporting the release of this product to the public
- Develop image quality metrics and tests to monitor the performance of the code
- Scale infrastructure to ramp up production of the Planet Fusion product
- Help create documentation and release material for Planet Fusion
- Troubleshooting image quality issues and deploy software fixes
What You Bring:
- A passion for Programming, Photography, Remote Sensing, Earth Sciences, and Geography
- Knowledge of radiometry, calibration, computer vision and imaging sensors
- Relevant experience in remote sensing, mapping and/or cartography
- Extensive experience leveraging scientific computing using Python in a Unix/Linux environment
- Knowledge of how to scale code with cloud computing resources, e.g. AWS or GCP
- Hands-on, can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate effectively
- Practical experience in solving problems by exploiting large cloud-based datasets
- Solid graduate-level Statistics, Linear Algebra and Computer Vision foundation
- BS or higher in an Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Data Science, Aeronautics and Aerospace or other relevant scientific/engineering field
What Makes You Stand Out:
- 5+ years remote sensing experience + proven track record of software automation of analysis of imagery/maps
- Experience working with open source geospatial software
- Experience with existing and evolving standards for representing geospatial data on the web
- Active contribution to open source projects
- Solid background in machine learning and statistics
- MS/PhD in a relevant scientific/engineering field
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please… do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we fulfill people’s careers and find folks that are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.