Using space to help life on Earth
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
About the Role:
The Calibration, Analytics Ready Data and InterOperability (CARDIO) operations team enables the generation of accurate and interoperable products from Planet’s satellites. There are multiple methods used to characterise image quality and ensure accuracy; from celestial maneuvers to harmonisation of earth-facing on-orbit imagery. The work of the CARDIO team is performed at scale and affects millions of images and terabytes of data.
There is much work to be done and would be a great experience for an up-and-coming engineer who has experience with image processing code at scale and knowledge of image quality issues. This position will focus on development of the infrastructure and code to integrate hyperspectral data into the Planet data processing systems.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Development and implementation of hyperspectral data processing algorithms into the Planet pipeline
- Driving and implementing continuous improvements in the hyperspectral data product and supporting the release of this product to the public
- Ensure calibration of hyperspectral products
- Develop image quality metrics and tests to monitor the performance of the code
- Help create documentation and release material
- Troubleshooting image quality issues and deploy software fixes
What You Bring:
- A passion for Programming, Remote Sensing, Earth Sciences, and Geography
- Knowledge of radiometry, calibration, imaging sensors and hyperspectral imaging
- Extensive experience leveraging scientific computing using Python in a Unix/Linux environment
- Knowledge of how to scale code with cloud computing resources, e.g. AWS or GCP
- A track record of successfully building, releasing, and supporting highly available, consistently performant services
- Hands-on, can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate effectively
What Makes You Stand Out:
- A proven track record of software automation of analysis of imagery/maps
- Demonstrated experience with hyperspectral data sets
- Experience working with open source geospatial software
- Experience with existing and evolving standards for representing geospatial data on the web
- Active contribution to open source projects
- Solid background in machine learning and statistics
- MS/PhD in a relevant scientific/engineering field
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
- Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
- “Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
- Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
- “Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please… do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.