Using space to help life on Earth
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The Manufacturing Test Engineering Team is responsible for creating and maintaining the tests and infrastructure for our satellite manufacturing operations. Test Engineers on our team tackle projects large and small to design and build software and hardware to automate functional & integration testing, instrument calibration, and qualification testing for both production and design validation. As a member of the Manufacturing Test Engineering team, you will collaborate with design engineers to develop board-level test plans, and be responsible for designing and developing the test fixtures, test hardware and test software for individual boards as well as subsystems. This will involve working with a broad variety of disciplines, including our top-notch design, qualification, and manufacturing teams.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Develop test plans in collaboration with design engineers
- Develop custom board test fixtures and interface electronics and cabling
- Develop bringup and boundary scan tests to enable rapid initial test coverage
- Develop full functional tests for manufacturing, including under thermal cycling conditions
- Continuous improvement of test software and hardware to ensure high reliability of test systems
- Troubleshoot defective boards in collaboration with R&D, Validation, and Manufacturing
What You Bring:
- Proven history of thinking through complex, interdisciplinary design problems as well as debugging to identify and correct root causes
- 5+ years of PCBA test development experience
- Expertise with automated test equipment test and measurement hardware
- Expertise with lab equipment including high speed oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, multimeters
- Demonstrated ability to design companion PCBAs from schematic capture to layout
- 5+ years of test programming experience, with willingness to code in Python
- Strong Linux fundamentals
- Experience with DVCS such as git or mercurial
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Knowledge of industry techniques for PCBA test
- Comfortable with Altium tools for PCB design
- Working knowledge of Boundary Scan
- Demonstrated experience developing bed of nails test fixtures
- Contributions to open source projects
- Experience with previous aerospace projects or cubesats
- Experience in the mobile, networking, medical, robotics, IoT, or similar embedded device industries
- Experience with some of our key technical areas, such as cameras or other image sensors, high-speed radio communication, high data rate storage systems
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
- Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
- “Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
- Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
- “Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please… do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.