Daily Earth Data to See Change and Make Better Decisions
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to Use Space to Help Life on Earth.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Our Payload Group is looking for an Optical Test Engineer to help us execute ground-based optical payload testing in collaboration with satellite manufacturing, camera operations, calibration and other system engineers in helping test, manufacture, develop and troubleshoot telescopes and camera assemblies for our constellations.
We are responsible for system-level analysis, operations, simulations, development, and test of our Earth observation payloads. Our group works at the intersection of hardware, software, and product engineering teams in the Space Systems division.
The role will appeal to candidates that enjoy getting hands-on with camera, sensor, and telescope technology while interfacing with experts in photography, science, systems engineering, and operations.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Coordinating and executing key optical manufacturing activities, such as optical metrology and alignment activities for telescope and sensor integration and troubleshooting
- Understanding and executing warm and cold alignment and performance testing of imaging spectrometers, telescopes, and end-to-end instruments
- Writing test plans and performing analysis of measured data for alignment and calibration of imaging systems
- Developing and expanding upon test software and electrical ground support equipment (GSE) for the characterization and automation of alignment and performance testing
- Coordinating and performing optomechanical manufacturing activities, such as bonding and fixturing
- Organize and participate in integration & test activities in cleanroom environments
What You Bring:
- 3+ years relevant experience in assembly, integration, alignment, and test of optical instruments, telescopes, and/or optics in fields such as defense, aerospace, automotive, biomedical, or related
- Experience with imaging spectrometers, in particular a mastery of related optomechanical testing (telescopes, focal planes, camera, electrical)
- Experience leveraging scientific Zemax, ANSYS, MATLAB, Python and/or C/C++ in a Unix/Linux/AWS environment to automate yourself out of the way
- Experience in recording detailed and accurate test descriptions and data summaries
- Experience with collecting large amounts of data, data storage and data manipulation
- Hands-on, can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate effectively
- Educational background in Optical Engineering (or relevant experience) required (AS/BS preferred)
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience working with flight hardware for space, including familiarity with safety and contamination processes
- Competency in mechanical assemblies, soldering PCBs and proficiency in reading both electrical drawings & schematics
- Experience in driving the definition and execution of Ground Support Equipment (GSE)
- First hand experience working with external vendors, suppliers, and integrators
- Practical experience troubleshooting and debugging complex systems
- Associates, Bachelors, Masters, or Doctorate in EE, CS, or relevant scientific/engineering field
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive health plan
- Wellness and mental health programs
- Flexible time off
- Recognition programs
- Commuter benefits
- Learning and tuition reimbursement
- Parental leave for all types of parents
- Offsites and happy hours (virtual for now)
- Volunteering benefits via 1% Pledge