Daily Earth Data to See Change and Make Better Decisions
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The Pipeline Infrastructure team at Planet is seeking a new Software Engineer to help evolve our internal imagery processing and storage pipeline. This team focuses on serving the internal needs of our imagery and remote sensing experts. Engineers on this team are responsible for building systems that enable those stakeholders to access and transform the data that they need. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, creative, and has at least some experience building large scale backend systems.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Enablement of efficient and rapid access to our variety of new and growing data sets
- Evolve supporting services for internal customer-facing data search and image processing functionality
- Managing the underlying Elasticsearch indexing for our core data sets.
- Full service ownership by measuring performance, creating alerts, being on call, and responding to incidents and performance anomalies.
What You Bring:
- Experience building customer-facing APIs in languages such as Go and Python using tools like git
- Familiarity monitoring and operating highly scalable cloud native software.
- Experience with SQL datastores (PostgreSQL or MySQL) and NoSQL datastores (e.g. BigTable, Elasticsearch etc.) and an understanding of when to use each.
- A track record of successfully building, releasing, and supporting highly available, consistently performant services
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to work well in a remote setting
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience maintaining infrastructure with Kubernetes, Terraform, and Ansible
- Experience building services that leverage cloud-based infrastructure and tooling such as AWS or GCP
- You’ve worked with geospatial data before, even tangentially
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits