Daily Earth Data to See Change and Make Better Decisions
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Our Payload group is responsible for system-level analysis, operations, simulations, testing, and development of our earth observation payloads. Our team works at the intersection of hardware, software, and product engineering teams within the Space Systems Division. The intern will work on a mentored but self-contained project to enhance the integration and test of our hyperspectral payload mission.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Investigate a given technical problem and re-create a reference scenario
- Explore and develop a solution to the technical problem
- Test and implement the solution
- Document technical approach and solution
What You Bring:
- Experience with the development and execution of test software and analysis in a laboratory setting, such as in Python
- Experience leveraging Python and/or C/C++ in a Unix/Linux/AWS environment to automate yourself out of the way through interfaces to supporting test hardware
- Experience in recording detailed and accurate test descriptions and data summaries
- Experience with collecting large amounts of data, data storage, and data manipulation
- Hands-on, can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate effectively
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Familiarity with optical systems and/or imaging hardware, in particular telescopes and optical sensors
- Experience with relevant modeling and simulation tools, such as CAD software suites or Zemax OpticStudio
Perks & Total Rewards While Fellowing or Interning at Planet:
- Office & WiFi Reimbursements
- Flex Fridays (once a month)
- Volunteering Benefits
- Commuter Benefits if you are near HQ