Daily Earth Data to See Change and Make Better Decisions
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The SkySat Mission Operations team operates Planet’s high resolution fleet which includes operating and maintaining the satellites along with developing automation of the operations of the satellites. The intern will work on a mentored but self-contained project whose solution is needed for the team. The topic involves automation of the process of flight software testing and the corresponding release of new software to the fleet. An additional topic may include learning about and training on how to operate the SkySats, understanding the subsystems of the satellite and conducting telemetry analysis to resolve anomalies.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Investigate a given technical problem and re-create a reference scenario
- Explore and develop a solution to the technical problem
- Test and implement the solution
- Document technical approach and solution
What You Bring:
- Experience with Python scripting, command line interface, and Git version control
- Experience in process automation, from design to software development
- Understanding of spacecraft system design
- Excellent attention to detail, workflow management, and communication (verbal & written) skills
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience with spacecraft-systems testing automation
- Understanding of coding in C
- Familiarity with Jenkins
Perks & Total Rewards While Fellowing or Interning at Planet:
- Office & WiFi Reimbursements
- Flex Fridays (once a month)
- Volunteering Benefits
- Commuter Benefits if you are near HQ