Using space to help life on Earth
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
About the Role:
Planet is hiring a software engineer to help our Geospatial APIs team build services to stream our imagery data to applications. These are core services that see millions of requests per day and enable our customers to view satellite imagery on the web. If you want to be part of a team that owns highly trafficked services while helping us push forward next generation Geospatial standards on the web, this is a great role for you!
Impact You’ll Own:
- Operate, maintain, and enhance Planet’s imagery tile services to stream our daily imagery and basemap products to Planet and 3rd party applications.
- Scale our basemap catalog and tile services to handle our growing collection of imagery.
- Develop our next generation of OGC services, including STAC and Tiles API.
- Develop new ways of viewing our 8-band imagery, including performant on-the-fly false-color visualizations and indices.
- Contribute enhancements to open source libraries we rely on.
What You Bring:
- Experience building and operating customer facing geospatial APIs.
- Experience using GDAL/OGR, other open source GIS software.
- Experience using Golang, Python, and git.
- Experience with observability, data analysis and SQL.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Experience with BigQuery
- Golang proficiency
- A strong opinion on how “GDAL” should be pronounced
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
- Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
- “Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
- Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
- “Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please… do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Compensation (Colorado Applicants Only):
- The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $116,100 – $187,200. This role is eligible for equity.
- The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
- Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.