Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth. Planet designs, build and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The Senior Engineering Program Manager for the EngOps org at Planet must be a fearless organizer and an excellent cross-functional leader with multiple teams, both inside Planet and with external partners. A successful candidate will help set strategy, help drive problem solving efforts, eliminate roadblocks, execute on schedule, and be responsible for managing/communicating status and issues along the way.
The position demands technical strength and expertise in many areas, including optical, mechanical, electrical, embedded software, RF and manufacturing.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Contribute to project definition and strategic plans.
- Develop project schedules and budgets and track performance across all phases of project development and implementation.
- Coordinate schedules, priorities, and status with engineering, stakeholders and management.
- Work directly with multiple engineering teams and cross-functional stakeholders to ensure productivity and progress on multiple concurrent projects.
- Develop tools and processes to measure and improve engineering productivity across Spacecraft Engineering.
- Drive root cause problem solving, identify and eliminate blocking issues.
What You Bring:
- BA/BS in a technically relevant field
- Experience in an engineering project management role for the development of software or hardware systems in a cross-functional, cross-organizational context.
- Outstanding communication and facilitation skills.
- Experience leading operational projects from evaluation and design to execution.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- MS in a technically relevant field
- Experience applying agile software development practices
- Experience managing spacecraft hardware and software build and release cycles
- Proven ability to work on assignments that require data evaluation, recommendation development, and decision making.
- Excellent problem-solving, organizational and analytical skills, with the ability to evolve product strategy based on research, data and industry trends.
- Experience in both mechanical and electrical engineering.
- Track record of shipping products
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please… do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.