Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data and machine learning-powered analytics to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest challenges.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
About the Role:
This role will be primarily focused on informing the market opportunities and delivering early products for advanced imaging mission types. Planet has committed to its new space mission, so this role would be responsible for incubating the early market with prototype data products so that a financially sustainable mission can create a long-term data stream when the new spacecraft are launched. In addition, this role will be required to form and manage a lighthouse customer engagement program of early customers. The Product Specialist will carry these customers through the development program and guarantee readiness to ingest platform data post satellite launch.
Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Develop, form and lead a lighthouse customer engagement program centered around this new data stream;
- Assess the competitive landscape of advanced sensing data products and analytical services, including public and proprietary datasets as well as analytical platform services;
- Coordinate market research to develop opportunities for land and marine monitoring as well as measurement in related markets, including defense, energy, agriculture, government, and forestry;
- Support qualitative user research, including customer interviews, to inform both product development and market assessments;
- Nurture and develop relationships with strategic partners in the government, scientific and philanthropic communities. Secure partners that will become early adopters and eventually long-term customers;
- Design the foundational business model to tie users, use cases and technology together across Planet’s extensive platform and set the stage for the next generation of remote sensing missions.
What You Bring:
- Extensive experience in an industry where advanced sensing could be applied such as defense, atmospheric sciences, agriculture, energy, environmental conservation or geology
- Ability to manage multiple, diverse technical applications of Planet data with commercial, government and philanthropic entities
- A passion for scientific progress, and boundless desire to address climate change
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and creative thinking skills
- Fluency in image analysis and GIS tools
- Excellent project, time, and budget management skills, and being able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously without sacrificing attention to detail
- A mixture of high energy, flexibility and team orientation with a direct, honest, and respectful approach to problem-solving, and an ability to work both collaboratively and independently in a high-growth, start-up culture
- Outstanding executive communication (speaking and writing), interpersonal, and organizational skills
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please… do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.