Daily Earth Data to See Change and Make Better Decisions
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Planet is constantly working on next generation systems and space platforms and we are seeking a manager with RF design and digital communications focus to lead Planet’s next generation radio development. As an experienced RF engineer on a world-class engineering team, you will take responsibility for building out the RF roadmap, support multiple satellite platforms that Planet operates, and provide mentoring and career development for an incredible team of engineers. As a proven leader you will use your experience to establish best practices and motivate high-quality engineering, and you are equally comfortable leading a team as you are making technical contributions to projects.
You will work with a small team of engineers to implement next generation telecommunications capabilities. You will help develop FPGA infrastructure, functional specifications, implement new designs and integrate commercial IP blocks and software. You will help architect the divisions between FPGA and Flight Software functionality. You will lead the development of the modems that use both of these pieces to transfer data between third party networks and the Planet network. You will collaborate with RF engineers, electrical engineers, ground software developers, and ground RF engineers to implement ground demonstrations and flight demonstrations of these capabilities, transitioning the flight capabilities into operational status after successful demonstrations.. Simply put, you will build the space systems of tomorrow.
Impact You’ll Own:
- FPGA and software architecture definition, component validation, and functional and performance analysis
- Custom data pipelines, DSP, and digital communications designs along with integration of 3rd party IP
- Timing analysis and closure
- RTL coding in Verilog / System Verilog / VHDL
- Lab verification and test bench automation.
- Collaboration with regulatory leads, program management, and manufacturing engineers to productionize your designs
What You Bring:
- 5+ years of experience building, simulating, verifying, and testing FPGA-based digital designs
- Experience in hardware / software co-design
- Proficiency in formal verification methods for FPGA/ASIC design
- Experience interfacing with high speed ADCs and DACs
- Experience with Verilog, VHDL, or other FPGA hardware description languages
- Experience in Linux, Python, and data analysis
- Strong technical expertise in FPGA development, software defined radio, or signal processing/digital communication
- BS in Electrical/Computer Science or equivalent work experience
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience with Altium or similar EDA tools, HFSS/ADS or other RF simulation tools
- Understanding of RF test equipment, logic analyzers, oscilloscopes, and hands on lab experience testing complex RF systems
- Excited by working in an agile, fast-paced environment, even in times of uncertainty and ambiguity.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
#space #spacecareers #spacejobs #careersinspace #aerospacejobs #engineeringjobs #jobsinspace