Daily Earth Data to See Change and Make Better Decisions
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Planet is constantly working on next generation systems and space platforms and we are seeking a Sr RF Systems Engineer radio design and digital and satellite communications focus. As an experienced RF engineer on a world-class engineering team, you will lead the implementation of RF communication systems between the spacecraft and the ground. You will make evolutionary and revolutionary improvements in their performance, reliability and cost, including the architecture and downselection of next-generation S-band through Ka-band radios and a variety of antennas (broad beam as well as narrow beam). You will work with RF PCB design engineers to get your design prototyped and interface with mechanical engineers to address challenging packaging and thermal issues. You will conduct environmental and EMI/EMC testing on communication subsystems and get them ready for flight. Knowledge of digital communications theory and associated signal processing algorithms for both narrowband and wideband data transmission systems is an essential requisite for this position. You will identify and onboard vendors, manage development projects with them, and develop processes to validate their hardware after receipt.
Impact You’ll Own:
- RF hardware design, simulation (Spice, ADS) and testing with all sorts of RF instrumentation
- RF system design, link budgets, and interference analysis
- EMI testing and mitigation
- Antenna downselection, working with various antenna vendors, and OTA testing
- Knowledge of Software Defined Radio (SDR) platforms and respective signal processing libraries (ex.: GNURadio)
What You Bring:
- Strong fundamentals in digital communications, RF/microwave and electromagnetics
- Proven ability to support and criticize RF layout, RF circuit design and component selection
- Proven ability to adapt and learn a multitude of skills in order to develop/contribute to the design of a complex system including but not limited to active RF circuits, transceivers, mixers, switches, RF amplifiers, oscillators, detectors, filters, and other building blocks for space and ground station applications.
- At least eight years of relevant hands on experience
- BSEE is required, MS/PhD preferred
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience with Altium or similar EDA tools, HFSS/ADS
- Good understanding of the latest RF innovation including software defined radios, phased arrays, and beam forming
- Experience in Linux, Python, and data analysis
- Excited by working in an agile, fast-paced environment, even in times of uncertainty and ambiguity.
- Experience providing mentorship for engineers from diverse disciplines.
- Experience managing vendor development projects.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
#space #spacecareers #spacejobs #careersinspace #aerospacejobs #engineeringjobs #jobsinspace