Daily Earth Data to See Change and Make Better Decisions
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
As a Systems Test Engineering Technician you will support test activities, assemble fixturing, build harnessing, and integrate the satellite HIL (Hardware-in-the-Loop) platforms that will enable the demonstration of satellite functions on-orbit. You will be responsible for supporting test platform build, integration, and test activities in a fast-paced R&D environment, often working independently on a minimal set of instructions. This will involve working closely with a broad variety of disciplines, including our top-notch design, qualification, and manufacturing teams.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Execute electro-mechanical build operations of primarily prototype systems
- Build harnesses on-demand for satellite integration and test interface hardware
- Assist designing and building manufacturing and test fixtures
- Maintain and troubleshoot test equipment
- Own the tool control process and cleanliness of the R&D area
- Manage the order and upkeep of consumables for the test setups
- Execute a wide variety of tests, including environmental tests, by following procedures with a limited set of instructions
What You Bring:
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well with people across all levels and teams
- Strong background in electrical wiring and harness build, including crimping and soldering cable connectors
- Experience performing PCBA rework and soldering
- Ability to read and interpret electrical schematics, drawings, and wiring diagrams
- Experience with building and integrating complex integrated systems
- Strong organizational, analytical, problem solving skills
- 3+ years of hands-on technician experience
- Hands-on attitude towards work
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Background in working on prototype/first-run hardware and tackling issues and roadblocks for the first time
- Experience using automated cable testing equipment
- Experience in testing and troubleshooting electrical/aerospace hardware
- Expertise with tool control, FOD, and cleanrooms
- Experience with data acquisition systems, oscilloscopes, multimeters, and other shop tools for testing and debugging
- Ability to learn new engineering concepts quickly
- Demonstrated ability to implement continuous improvement processes
- Familiarity with Linux and Python
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
#space #spacecareers #spacejobs #careersinspace #aerospacejobs #engineeringjobs #jobsinspace