The Polar Epsilon project is delivering a world leading Maritime Domain Awareness System for Canada’s Department of National Defence. PE2 leverages the MDA-built RCM satellite constellation to provide near real time ship detection of Canada’s maritime approaches. PE2 also provides DND with the capability to plan and collect classified Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) imagery worldwide.
MDA is seeking a Platform & Information Technology Engineer who is part of a team accountable for the implementation, configuration and deployment, and support of the network, computer, IT security, and storage systems for DND’s Classified Polar Epsilon 2 (cPE2) System.
The cPE2 system is built upon a comprehensive platform including:
- 100 Linux and Windows virtual compute nodes implemented on a dedicated hardware environment
- Devops environment for configuring and deploying virtual environments
- Specialized storage and other HW devices
- A secure multi-zone network including classified / unclassified network boundaries
- a variety of COTS enterprise applications such as messaging and collaboration services, database services, storage area networks services, and comprehensive security monitoring and auditing services
As the successful candidate, you will work closely with a multidisciplinary team of Platform, Information Technology, Security, and Integration & Test Engineers to define, set up, configure, test, deploy, and support the cPE2 platform.
You will further develop, grow, and expand your knowledge and expertise with a wide variety of technologies and products. You will apply proven engineering processes, prototype innovative and efficient new processes, and work with integrated technologies.
As a Platform & Information Technology Engineer, you will:
- Work closely as part of a multi-disciplinary integration team.
- Configure, automate, maintain and troubleshoot a Devops environment using established procedures and tools including gitlab, Vagrant, SaltStack.
- Develop and maintain tools in Salt
- Apply Knowledge and experience in configuring and troubleshooting Ethernet communications, networking, VLANs, etc.
- Working with the team lead, plan and organize integration and test activities, track and report on progress.
- Perform hands-on integration testing.
- Perform detailed troubleshooting of complex system interactions with the underlying IT environment.
- Work closely with development team to assign, resolve and test software issues.
- Support team members in troubleshooting and repair of computing environment issues.
- Work with team members to automate unit and end-to-end tests.
- Work closely with the PE2 Security Engineer to configure and maintain stringent security policies.
- Work in bare metal and virtual environments.
- Apply strong hands-on expertise in ESXI, Linux, and Windows environments and in network configuration.
- Protect data, software, and hardware by coordinating, planning and implementing network security measures.
Experience and Education General Requirements:
- A University degree in Engineering, Applied Science, Computer Science, or Science from an accredited institution.
- 2+ years of relevant IT engineering experience.
- Proven ability to focus on the customer, to understand their needs, and to deliver results.
- Demonstrated experience with the development of Platform & IT Engineering concepts (requirements, traceability, design, sizing, performance, capacity management, system test, deployment and operations).
- Knowledge of current technologies and software security best practices.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills, understand dependencies and stakeholder needs, and enjoy working extensively with customers, partners, sub-contractors, hardware and software vendors, IT, and project team members, building effective and lasting relationships.
- A team oriented approach to solving technical problems within budget and schedule constraints.
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communications.
Experience and Education Technical Requirements – some combination of:
- Knowledge and experience in deploying, securing and configuring Windows environments (Active Directory, SMS, etc.) and Linux systems.
- Proven experience with enterprise Linux, enterprise applications, multiple scripting languages, databases, configuration management.
- Experience with SaltStack configuration tools is an asset.
- Adept at network engineering, with working knowledge of firewalls, servers, networks.
- Troubleshooting, diagnosing and resolving hardware, software, and other network and system problems.
- Replacing faulty network hardware components when required.
- Monitor network performance to determine if adjustments need to be made.
- Proficient with vSphere and vSAN – other VMware products and platforms would be a plus.
- Virtual infrastructure performance and capacity monitoring and reporting, as well as investigating and troubleshooting incidents.
- Ideally will hold certification of some combination of VMWare, MS virtualization, network or storage based certifications.
- Specialty knowledge in reliability engineering, security, IT Infrastructure Library, software engineering, or electronics is an asset. Ideally will hold certification as one of GSEC, GCWN or GCUX (Covers OS area).
Successful candidate(s) must be able to obtain and hold security clearance at the Secret level, and pass security assessment for the Controlled Goods Program. Travel may be required.
Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at its many locations. As a member of the MDA team, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection for employees and their families through health care plans, disability income protection, life insurance, and other employee benefits. The Company’s retirement plans encourage employees to save for their future with a Company matching contribution in many locations.