We pioneer discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Sr. Electrical Engineer – Digital Design & Electronics Box Responsible Engineer
What You’ll Do:
- Responsible for system and detail circuit development of space-based, high reliability electronic systems, modeling and simulations, with primary focus on digital electronics, embedded systems, and FPGAs.
- Interface with systems engineers to define functional and performance requirements.
- Help to define and implement test and verification methodology at the board level and provide support at box level during environmental test.
- Lead a team of board level design engineers.
- Experience with detailed analysis – DWCTA, signal integrity, WCA, PSA, reliability, risk mitigation.
- Interface with support disciplines –mission assurance, test engineering, production.
- Work with parts engineers to select and approve EEE parts to meet program requirements.
- Work closely with PWB packaging and layout engineers.
- Lead resolution of troubleshooting hardware anomalies, identifying root cause and corrective action at board and box levels.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others maintaining a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Familiarity with analog electronic circuit design, electronic systems, as well as FPGAs and software.
- Design and analysis experience with high speed digital systems, including multi-gigabit transceivers.
- Experience with Xilinx and/or Microsemi FPGAs and tools is a plus.
- Requires exceptional verbal and written communication skills, strong presentation skills, and ability to work with internal and external customers.
- Experience with schematic capture tools – Mentor DxD, OrCad is preferred.
- Experience with power systems and/or mixed signal design a plus.
- Experience with Hyperlynx or other signal integrity analysis tool is preferred.
- Hands on experience with lab power supplies, oscilloscopes, function generators, and logic analyzers is required.
- Effective in multidisciplinary large team work environment with broad responsibilities and minimal oversight.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.