Collect, process, and visualize your survey data. Every day, thousands of construction professionals rely on Propeller to get instant and accurate insights from their survey data that allow them to make smarter, faster, and more collaborative business decisions.
Propeller’s mission is to provide real time earthworks tracking for everyone. To pave the path to real time, we’re building hardware and software solutions that simplify data collection, processing, and analysis for heavy civil and resource operations.
Great engineering is our company’s goal. Your mission as part of this goal is to lead our hardware team which handles the capture of accurate geospatial data. This is a cross-functional team working in hardware & firmware development, signal processing, distributed computing on AWS and full-stack web development in Python and Typescript. You’ll lead and mentor a team of engineers by giving them a platform to succeed and develop their skills.
You’ll be improving our centimetre-accurate GPS sensors and high performance cloud services that crunch the data we use on the Propeller Platform. You’ll also be leading our team to deliver an exciting IoT product which is due for release late 2021. To achieve this, you’ll partner with the Product Owner to communicate with go to market and manufacturing teams. You’ll take this feedback to prioritise your team’s projects which deliver the most customer value.
We know the key to this success will be in the investment in our people. For this reason, you’ll ensure that you build an environment of trust, mutual respect and continuous feedback. You’ll be your team’s biggest champion and will deliver recognition and reward for hard work. You’ll challenge your team with interesting projects, putting their unique skills to use and ensuring they grow in the process.
Your Core Responsibilities
- Parachute into an existing team and work with the current lead as they transition to a technical lead role. Foster an environment of highly engaged and purposeful engineers.
- Provide regular feedback, both formal and informal. Establish a structure within the team where peer to peer feedback is encouraged. Be comfortable holding people accountable for high performance.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to all engineers throughout the team. Be the leader for advice and direction on both personal and professional development areas.
- Work with the hiring team to recruit and onboard talented engineers who buy into the company vision and are dedicated to achieving it.
- Ensure your team understands the goals of the business and how the hardware team delivers value to this goal.
- Work with the broader product and engineering teams and encourage cross collaboration on all projects.
- Understand and communicate relevant technology trends; what’s coming in the future; and how Propeller can use that to our benefit.
- Drive the Hardware team’s delivery and developer experience strategy and collaborate with Technical Leads to drive and implement technical strategy.
- Promote a mindset of continuous improvement and hold your team to a high standard of code quality.
- Contribute to the improvement of our internal processes as we scale.
- With the support of leadership, create a team structure that will allow for speed, quality and cross-team collaboration.
- Lead many concurrent projects to ensure the wider Hardware team meets their deliverables.
- Ensure the team is building and iterating quickly, and we’re integrating the customer into everything we do.
- Individual contribution to full-stack web development.
- Unblock your team on any technical challenges they may be experiencing.
- You’re passionate about people leadership – having previously led high-performing, happy teams. Bonus points for joining an existing team and leading them to success.
- You’re strong in Node, Python & Cloud computing. You will not be expected to code daily but you will be a highly credible engineer, and can hold our talented team to high standards.
- You have experience working in a Hardware or IoT product environment.
- You’re comfortable balancing competing priorities and pivoting your team around delivering customer value.
- You’re an expert with cloud ops and having experience in the AWS infrastructure would be a bonus!
Bonus points for
- Previous experience in an R&D environment and comfortable with delivering incremental solutions.
We are 100% about impact and 0% about ego, with everyone here being encouraged to solve their problems creatively, listen to one another and to never stop learning. We work for our collective success, and we welcome you to learn more about us on Glassdoor.
Propeller is for everyone, so come as you are. We’re open humans who champion diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We offer our employees:
- Employee stock options
- Professional development budget; we embrace the journey & practice our passions.
- Monthly telco allowance
- Paid main & secondary parental leave policies
- Flexible work arrangements