QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
About the role:
We are looking to appoint an experienced scientist to fulfill a significant role in the design and implementation of Secured Navigation systems, including Global Navigation Satellite System receivers.
The role will require an individual who is confident to:
- Conduct the required background research to production timescales;
- Scope solution options for system components and generate technical requirements;
- Develop algorithms;
- Conduct verification activities and generate reports with detailed analysis of the results;
Work alongside a dedicated software engineering team in a high control production environment.
What will I be doing?:
You will be able to work autonomously and take responsibility for the work of themselves and others, liaising with project managers and technical leads and taking ownership of discrete packages of work.
- Research of customer needs and requirements to align technical outputs;
- Identification, review and selection of scientific techniques, procedures and methods to undertake tasks;
- Identification of risks and opportunities, monitoring through the lifetime of a project;
- Ownership of specific algorithms/models, i.e. the go-to person for the wider Secured Navigation development team;
- Generation of technical outputs, written reports and presentations to customers, demonstrating the ability to communicate effectively with specialist and non- specialist audiences.
What do I need?:
We would be interested in individuals with skills in any of the following areas, especially if they have specific domain experience working with navigation systems (including GNSS, Inertial, and Integrated Multi-Sensor Navigation Systems):
- Data Fusion Techniques (including Weighted Least Squares Estimation and Kalman Filtering)
- Digital signal processing knowledge (including GNSS signal structures, acquisition techniques, tracking techniques, interference and multipath mitigation)
- Modelling/ simulation of navigation systems/ sensors
- Mathematical Modelling;
- Algorithm design/ documentation;
- MATLAB modelling
- Performance analysis, e.g. accuracy, integrity, continuity of service
- Working in a software development environment to assist with requirements analysis and functional Architectural Design. A dedicated software engineering team will provide support here but the individual we’re seeking will have demonstrated an ability to:
- Write MATLAB code to defined high control coding standards;
- Document work to appropriate standard;
- Define appropriate unit tests and undertake tests to prove software robustness;
- Define appropriate system tests and undertake tests to prove system performance;
- Work in a team on a shared design and code base.
Experience & Qualifications:
- A good degree in Science, Engineering or Mathematics, or an equivalent, nationally recognised professional qualification.
- Demonstrable experience working as part of multi-disciplined technical teams, responsible for delivery of defined components, sub-systems or functionality.