This is an exciting opportunity to join a high performing team of multi-disciplinary engineers delivering critical test & evaluation of defence munitions through the application of vibration, shock, climatic & radiography test programs. You will be an integral part of the team at the Environmental Test Centre (ETC) at MOD Shoeburyness. You will work within a team of senior engineers, providing technical supervision and leadership to test programs. Assessing asset performance within the demanding environments that the systems will be subjected to throughout their operational life, simulating some of the most challenging environments in the world to ensure that the systems are ultimately safe and suitable for service.
The Environmental Test Centre is an expanding area of QinetiQ and a world class test facility. This is a challenging, exciting and important role that would offer the chance to work in world leading technical facilities delivering vital services to UK Defence and beyond.
- Carryout documentation reviews, data processing, reporting and conduct quality checks on work produced against customer specifications and QinetiQ’s standards before issue.
- Support the Trials Team Leads in the management and development of the capability at the Environmental Test Centre as required.
- Work with the team to design trials in accordance with customer requirements.
- Actively seek out and capitalise on opportunities for continued improvement in the operations at ETC.
- To lead complex trials including the direction of others, associated with conducting environmental testing of test assets, and all supporting activities.
- Take responsibilities for adherence to and generation of working procedures for you and trials team, ensuring compliance with all safety legislation associated with the activities.
- Report progress to the planning office and provide solutions to enable the generation of recovery plans where required and attend customer progress meetings.
- Develop and deliver internal training programmes and provide supervision and direction of other team members as required during day to day activities. This should include taking ownership of issues and driving for a resolution calling upon support from more senior members when necessary.
- Proactively provide training and supervision to develop other team members across a range of facilities and identifying opportunities for training.
- Pro-actively support and contribute to QinetiQ safety culture and undertake assigned activities to maintain and uphold safety standards.
- Rigorous approach to compliance and safe working in the test facilities.
- Have an engineering background with an understanding of structures and analysis.
- Knowledge and experience of environmental test engineering.
- Ability to encourage collaboration between team members and activities.
- IT competence.
- HNC / HND in a relevant engineering or science subject or equivalent.
- Must be eligible for SC clearance as a minimum.
- UK Driving Licence.
- Has held a position of technical responsibility, with demonstrable delivery and technical leadership.
- IOSH Managing Safely.
- Demonstrable practical experience of identifying, fault finding and fixing electrical, HVAC and/or mechanical systems a benefit.
- Good understanding of instrumentation and data analysis
Please note that all applicants must be eligible for SC clearance as a minimum.
Why join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there’s never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation and having the courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You’ll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you’ll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in an diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Read more about our diverse and inclusive workplace culture here.
Joining QinetiQ offers you an opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits. You’ll receive a highly competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive as we constantly review what’s happening in the market. The range of benefits that we offer include, adaptive and flexible working, generous holiday entitlements, Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance and much more.
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals, we are a world-centre of excellence in research and development and act as a catalyst for fast-track innovation, offering outstanding experimentation facilities, and technical, engineering and scientific expertise. QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Come and find out how you can play a role.
Please note that many roles in QinetiQ are subject to national security vetting. Applicants that already hold the appropriate level of vetting may be able to transfer it upon appointment, subject to approval. A number of roles are also subject to restrictions on access to information that mean factors such as nationality, previous nationalities held and the country in which you were born may have an effect on the roles that you can be employed in.