The present and future of humanity rely on space exploration and the advancement of engineering and science.
You will have the opportunity to provide engineering support to the Radio Navigation Systems & Technology Section at the European Space Agency.
Tasks and Activities
- Support to Navigation Projects (e.g. EGNOS and GALILEO) and R&D activities in the fields of system and receivers performances in a hybrid PNT framework (GNSS algorithms at signal and position level, dead-reckoning motion sensors such as INS, vision-based INS, alternative PNT systems, use of signals from cellular network, etc.).
- Participation in studies supporting current and future PNT systems definition and/or analysis, in particular for what concerns system performances and receiver algorithms (signal processing, advanced hybrid PNT algorithms, situational awareness and mitigation of local impairments) for improved availability, reliability and resilience.
- Participation to the activities supporting standardisation and technical working groups addressing the aforementioned topics.
- Design, definition and follow up of industrial contracts related to the aforementioned topics, including R&D activities and./or procurement of GNSS testbeds and receivers for infrastructure or user technologies /user segments.
- Support design, implementation, maintenance and operation of Radio Navigation equipment, complex Radio Navigation simulation tools and test facilities for testing features (end-to-end performances, receivers, etc.) in the aforementioned activities.
Skills and Experience
The following skills and experience are mandatory:
- You have a Master’s Degree in the fields of Telecommunications, Electrical Engineering, Physics or Aerospace Engineering.
- You have specific knowledge in the design and testing of Radio Navigation systems and equipment.
- You have a strong knowledge on the design of satellite navigation systems, ranging and positioning techniques, RF, signal processing techniques, and digital navigation receivers.
- You have relevant experience with the GNSS1, EGNOS and/or GALILEO systems and equipment and have and good knowledge of Radio Navigation simulation and testing systems.
- You have proven experience in the implementation, maintenance and operation of complex Radio Navigation simulation and test facilities for spacecraft, aircraft, maritime and land mobile applications.
- You have strong experience at user level with satellite navigation receivers and satellite navigation positioning and integrity algorithms.
- You have a background and experience (including hands-on tests and field trials) in several of the following fields: GNSS and associated user technologies, non-GNSS positioning systems (e.g. alternative PNT, 5G, etc.) and associated user technologies; advanced signal processing and estimation algorithms applied to PNT (for instance including but not limited to some of the following: MIMO signal processing, kalman filter, particle filter, artificial intelligence and machine learning for sensor fusion).
The following skills would be highly desirable:
- You have some experience in system design and user equipment technologies for secure wireless systems.
- You have some experience of commercial simulation software.
Preference will be given to candidates eligible for an EU or national personal security clearance at the level of CONFIDENTIAL or above.