Principal Avionics Systems Engineer
Collins Aerospace is looking for an experienced, senior Systems Engineer to join their team in Montreal, Canada. This position requires detailed knowledge of avionics definition, integration, test and certification activities along with excellent project and team management skills. A background in systems engineering along with experience in subsystem design is a must. Experience with a variety of avionics systems is required. The candidate will also be responsible for providing direction, coordination, and control on assigned systems projects, including management of specific work packages for quality, scope, and schedule in accordance with established systems engineering process (i.e. traditional Project Engineering activities). Candidate normally receives little instruction on day to day work. Works under general instructions on new assignments. Participates in determining objectives of assignment. Plans, schedules and arranges own activities in accomplishing objectives. Must also possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills in order to support frequent customer meetings and also support pursuit related activities.
This is an onsite position located in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- Interfacing with customers (both internal and external) during definition and implementation of avionic system integration
- Execute program milestones according to established schedule and ensure critical path and key dependencies are effectively managed to achieve successful outcome
- Reviewing detailed execution plans and schedules with the project management team to ensure adequacy, completeness, and harmonization with the overall program level plan
- Generating system requirements documents for physical and logical interfaces
- Defining cockpit display formats and control operation in conjunction with the customer
- Developing and running functional test procedures for all avionics sub-systems
- Advising the customer on the physical installation of avionics equipment
- Troubleshooting and diagnosing avionics problems on the systems integration rig and flight test aircraft (may involve travel)
- Documenting, tracking, and resolving avionics problems resulting from both design errors and equipment failures
- Generating certification documents for subsystems demonstrating compliance with OEM certification plans
- Supporting Change Management related activities at the program level
- Typically requires a degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) unless prohibited by local laws/regulations and minimum 8 years prior relevant experience OR an Advanced Degree in a related field and minimum 5 years of experience OR in absence of a degree, 12 years of relevant experience is required.
- Detailed knowledge of avionics definition, integration, test and certification activities is required
- Systems knowledge is required in all or part of the following systems: AFCS, Air Data, Cockpit Audio, Datalink, EFIS, EICAS, Enhanced Vision Systems, FMS, GPS, HUD, Integrated Modular Avionics (IMA), On-board Maintenance Systems, Radio Altimeters, Surface mgmt Systems, Synthetic Vision Systems, TAWS, TCAS/Transponders, VHF Comm, VHF Nav, XM Weather.
- Previous project and team management experience is required
- Analysis – thinking through a logical, in-depth analysis of a problem or situation.
- Cooperation – Serves as a role model to his or her coworkers by demonstrating respect and sensitivity for fellow workers and promoting open discussion of issues.
- Coordinating – Provides a seamless stream of communication and support.
- Customer Service Orientation – Fully comprehends the value of the organization’s customers and champions strategies to ensure world-class service.
- Dependability – Consistently produces exemplary results that can be used as prototypes for future projects.
- Judgment – Able to quickly assess the costs, benefits, and risks of a decision while using sound logic to ultimately make well-informed decisions.
- Relationships – Models the proper way to build and maintain relationships with others by consistently treating customers and coworkers with respect and dignity.
- Speaking – Consistently speaks in an engaging and articulate manner to various types of audiences.
Collins Aerospace, a Raytheon Technologies company, is a leader in technologically advanced and intelligent solutions for the global aerospace and defense industry. Collins Aerospace has the capabilities, comprehensive portfolio and expertise to solve customers’ toughest challenges and to meet the demands of a rapidly evolving global market.
Our Avionics team advances flight deck solutions, airborne communications, vision systems, sensors and fire protection for commercial and military customers around the world. That means we’re helping people reach their destination safely and keeping pilots, passengers, flight crews, airlines, airports and military personnel connected and informed. And we’re providing industry-leading fire protection and safety systems that our customers can count on when it matters most. Are you ready to learn from the most knowledgeable experts in the industry, develop the technologies of tomorrow and reach new heights in your career? Join our Avionics team today.
We make modern flight possible for millions of travelers and our military every second. Our major product lines are on-board virtually every aircraft flying. Be it keeping passengers safe with our emergency power generation systems or creating a positive in-flight experience through reliable cabin pressure controls and quieter engines, Power & Controls focuses on delivering a best-in-class experience to our customers. We hire the top people in the industry. Their ideas drive our performance, and their integrity keeps our customers happy. Join us as we take flight!
Collins Aerospace Diversity & Inclusion Statement:
Diversity drives innovation; inclusion drives success. We believe a multitude of approaches and ideas enable us to deliver the best results for our workforce, workplace, and customers. We are committed to fostering a culture where all employees can share their passions and ideas so we can tackle the toughest challenges in our industry and pave new paths to limitless possibility.
WE ARE REDEFINING AEROSPACE.
* Please consider the following role type definitions as you apply for this role.
Onsite: Employees who are working in Onsite roles will work primarily onsite. This includes all production and maintenance employees, as they are essential to the development of our products.
Hybrid: Employees who are working in Hybrid roles will work regularly both onsite and offsite. Ratio of time working onsite will be determined in partnership with your leader.
Remote: Employees who are working in Remote roles will work primarily offsite (from home). An employee may be expected to travel to the site location as needed.
Regardless of your role type, collaboration and innovation are critical to our business and all employees will have access to digital tools so they can work with colleagues around the world – and access to Collins sites when their work requires in-person meetings.
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.