We are defining the future of aerospace and defense with ambitious technologies that push the limits of known science.
Would you like to be part of the new space movement? Are you a rock star engineer? Do you have the leadership gene?
Raytheon Intelligence & Space is the place for you. In the last few years you might have seen in your social media feed amazingly beautiful images of the Earth from space in exquisite detail. Or perhaps images in the news forecasting the weather and reporting on natural disasters. Maybe you’ve even gazed at images from deep space wondering when humans will journey to the farthest reaches of the universe. Behind many of these amazing images are the technologies and innovations created by the engineers at Raytheon Intelligence & Space. Situated in sunny Southern California, a location rich in aerospace history, we have unparalleled heritage in advanced sensing systems for space exploration, national security and civil space. We are actively seeking engineers to help evolve our technology and grow our business into new domains and markets. Are you up to the challenge? We’re looking for you.
We are seeking a Systems Engineering Center (SEC) Chief Engineer within the Space Systems (SS) Mission Area of Raytheon Technologies Intelligence and Space business. The SEC EO/IR Chief Engineer will help drive the successful execution of the SEC team on an Electro-Optical/Infrared (EO/IR) Payload Mission/ Program. The Chief Engineer is the single engineering leadership point of contact and is responsible for all engineering execution of a program including technical, schedule, and financial performance.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Primary program engineering leadership POC with the program office, the customer and other external entities related to the program
- Establish and manage a product vision, strategy and goals to align the Program with the Customer and facilitate conflict resolution
- Support growth opportunities to turn into captured new business
- Responsible for the entirety of engineering execution including technical budget, cost, schedule and metrics
- Determines & monitors technical priorities to meet cost, schedule & performance for the entire program
- Establishes and maintains the program technical baseline, ensuring the product is optimized to meet the contractual needs and can be executed within program budget and schedule
- Monitor and trend staffing against planned work; proactively engage with Engineering functions to ensure adequate resource assignment.
- Ensure effective use of independent reviews and achieve on-time completion of all Program Engineering reviews
- Responsible for the Earned Value and/or financial management of the engineering content on a program.
- Ensures proper Engineering Risk and Opportunity management (ensures Engineering risks are captured, mitigation plans in place across IPTs)
- Provide cross-IPT technical leadership and coordination – Ensure Engineering leads assigned to program are engaged in all aspects of their program
- Encourage a diverse workforce by promoting diverse opinions and thought processes and through staffing
- 10+ years engineering experience with at least 5 years working on space programs
- Engineering experience working on an EO/IR space program
- Experience leading an IPT or cross-function teams in program execution
- Experience in proposal development, particularly Basis of Estimate development, and other contract deliverable artifacts
- Experienced presenter with prior responsibility for dealing with customers, management, technical staff, and internal / external organizations
- Experience with accountability; responsibility for prioritizing work tasks and customer requirements across multiple teams
- Team building and motivational skills – training and developing team in disciplined engineering processes
- Proven leadership skills and behaviors
- Self-motivated and capable of performing tasks with minimal oversight
- Strong communication, time management, and interpersonal skills
- Experience with risk and opportunity management and scope management
- Knowledge of RIS Engineering products, technologies, and processes
- U.S. Citizenship is required as this position requires an active DOD Secret security clearance as of Day 1 of employment
- Active DOD Secret Clearance
- Ability to access US only data systems
- Experience in SE process development and deployment
- Experience in systems engineering functions including: operations concept development, requirements management, technical risk management, interface definition and control
- Experience with Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE)
- Experience with system or subsystem level Integration, Verification and Validation (IV&V)
- Knowledge of environmental test methods and practices (e.g. Dynamic, Vibration, EMI, Thermal Vacuum)
- Integrated Product Team Lead (IPTL) or line engineering management experience
- Bachelor of Science degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) from an accredited educational institution (i.e. Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, etc.)
- Master of Science degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) from an accredited educational institution (i.e. Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, etc.)
This position requires either a U.S. Person or a Non-U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization.